Are you SART smart?

Are you SART smart?

sart picture

Pictured: The SART logo.

Picture by Google Images.

On Monday, September 28 there was a leadership conference focusing on helping the Student Ambassador classes from Fossil, Rocky, Poudre, and Collins.  The main focus of this conference was on helping the Student Ambassadors become more aware of mental health situations.  

Cambri Van Tassell, a Junior Student Ambassador described, “While we were there they had a women come speak to us about her personal experiences with suicide.  Her son, her son’s girlfriend and her other son had all committed suicide.  She wanted to have everyone be aware of the different suicide signs and how to help them because she learned the hard way that you have to pay attention and take action.”  Van Tassell then went on to describe many of the different suicidal signs including, “I wish I were dead, I’ll kill myself if…,and I don’t want to be alive”  

While they were at the conference, they were able to go to different classes that went more in depth on different mental health situations.  Two of the classes offered at the conference were on anxiety and mental health.  One of the most important parts of the conference was trying to create awareness on the presence of mental health situations in our society and how to help them before they become bigger problems.  

After this conference Van Tassell reflected, “I learned so much from the speakers at this conference, and I think would be very beneficial for everyone to be aware of suicide signs and mental health situations.”  

The student ambassadors will begin preparing to give SART (sexual assault response team) presentations in middle schools within the next few months.  Van Tassell described, “the goal of these presentations is to help students become more aware of the situations going on in our society surrounding mental health.”  The students in this class are very excited to begin presenting what they learned to students in middle schools so everyone can be more aware of the people and situations around them.  

$100
$1000