Photo thanks to Macy Dunnigan
Photo thanks to Macy Dunnigan

The Cats are dominating DECA

Photo thanks to Courtney Koplyay
Photo thanks to Courtney Koplyay

DECA state is an event that happens every year in Colorado, and with Fossil Ridge having an extensive chapter it’s no surprise that hundreds of students participate, and many win.

Like every year, DECA state is held at the Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs. Many competitions come before this one however, and to get this far you have to have a plan. Courtney Koplyay, a current DECA member and state winner describes DECA as “A club where you compete in marketing and business related with either your team or by yourself. You compete in a business role play and take a test for your section.”

Photo thanks to Laura Martella
Photo thanks to Laura Martella

Seniors, Jules Jackson and Courtney Koplyay took first place in the Hospitality Services team decision making event where they perform a role play in front of the judges. “Jules and I were so excited when we found out we won. It means that all of our hard work has paid off, we also qualified to go to Nationals in Nashville. Which we are both really excited for!” States Koplyay.

Photo thanks to Laura Martella
Photo thanks to Laura Martella

The school qualified a staggering 46 people for Nationals this year. That means a top 6 finish in state, and about 12-15 people placing in their events. Including Zach Brogan and his team, Laura Martella and hers and the Colorado DECA chapter’s own social media coordinator and FRHS senior Macy Dunnigan.

Photo thanks to Courtney Koplyay
Photo thanks to Courtney Koplyay

Koplyay says “I am definitely going to miss all of the friends and experiences that I have made through DECA. They truly made DECA one of my favorite parts of high school!”

Nationals will be held in Nashville in April.