Take action with the Culture Team

Take action with the Culture Team

IMG_20160226_140605
A STUCO rep presenting to students.

On Wednesday, February 17, a large group of students gathered in the PAC to hear members from Fossil Ridge High School’s Climate and Culture Team talk about the ideas they have formed over the past few months. This action meeting helped spread the word about the Culture Team and allowed more students to learn about the events the members are planning.

A  STUCO representative kicked off the meeting by introducing the general purpose of the team and how it formed. Other members then presented on their specific ideas and the committees surrounding those ideas, including one for marketing the events the Culture Team organizes. There is also a group for Unity Week, Appreciation Week, and the Ridge Games. After the meeting, students signed up for the groups they wanted to help with and enjoyed a complimentary breakfast.

These groups are about creating school-wide activities that any student can participate in, aimed to make everyone feel included. Appreciation Week is meant to challenge students to go out of their way to make someone else’s day better and find some new friends, too, and the Ridge Games will allow for students to bond while having fun and completing challenges around the school.

Culture is an important part of everyone’s lives and the school environment, and it was good for Culture Team members to see more students interested in cultivating the school’s culture. “I thought it was about drama club,” said Grant DeLuca, “but I still signed up for Ridge Games.” Despite the fact that theatre students only originally went to the meeting because they were told it for important for drama club, many found the ideas intriguing and decided to participate with the events.

The ideas the Culture Team has are still in a planning stage, which is why members really want to get more students to go to meetings. Nic Rhodes said, “I thought the ideas were very helpful for people who really care about them.” However, having a meeting during late start when most students prefer to sleep in or finish homework might not have been the best choice. “If we can show the ideas to more of the school at a time when more people can still them, then I think more people will be involved,” said Rhodes.

The next meeting is on Thursday, March 10, after school in the Media Center, and all students who have the slightest interest are welcome to attend.