Cinderella Project: Prom dreams come true

[slideshow_deploy id=’13727′]

FCCLA organized a Prom dress sale on March 9, 2016, from 3:30 to 8pm at Dora Grace Bridal in Fort Collins. This sale was open to all the students from the Poudre School District. Many gently used or brand new dresses, shoes, and accessories were sold for no more than $20.

Erika Miller, a student at Fossil Ridge High School, is one of the heads in charge of the project. Miller and her mother have been working on the Cinderella Prom Sale for three years and they still enjoy it a lot. The goal of this event was to give everybody the opportunity to go to the dance at the end of year, no matter what financial situation they are in. Erika said, “The point is simply to give anybody the chance to afford a nice outfit by selling dresses for less money.” They were expecting to sell at least 300 dresses and many accessories.

878
Elyse Parker really excited about her dress. Photo Credit: Emilie Babkine

The doors opened at 3:30 and multiple volunteers were helping with the dressing rooms and the organization. For each purchase, everybody got a chance to win prom related prizes because of the lottery created by the organization. The leaders decided to fix a limit of two dresses per person, even if they were not old enough to go to prom, to let everyone find and buy a dress.

The store was packed and dozens of guys and girls were looking to find the best pieces of clothing. Ciera Dykstra , a junior, bought two dresses and chose to come because she knew the clothes were great quality for good prices. She stated, “I think it’s an amazing project since it’s hard to find a nice prom dress for cheap and many girls don’t go to prom because of how expensive it is.” Megan Jamison, also a junior at Fossil,came for the same reasons, “I got the chance to try dresses that I couldn’t have afforded anywhere else.” All the people seemed happy about their purchases and satisfied of the event.

Prom dresses are really expensive, so adding a pair of shoes, jewelry and a bag are even more money spent on one night. This event offered the chance to get all of it for a lower price, but keeping the quality of the products.

[socialpoll id=”2340835″]