Humans of Fossil: Mason Palmer

Humans of Fossil: Mason Palmer

lijh
Mason Palmer poses for a picture. Photo Credit: Mason Palmer

Mason Palmer is just another sophomore student at Fossil Ridge High School, who enjoys playing hockey, helping out on set for theater, and someone who aspires to be a graphic designer for video games.

A passion of Palmer’s is hockey, which took root as a eight year old.  After seeing an Eagles game with his dad, he just wanted to play it. He saw no interest in watching  when he was younger, he just wanted to skate. After bothering his parents to let him play, he got the gear, played a spring season, and took off from there.

To Palmer, hockey is something that gives him a “sense of pride…accomplishment, and a sense of friendship.” On ice is where he can feel ‘on top of the world’ he says , “on the skates I feel a lot faster, then I do in life.”

Next year there are rumors of there being a Poudre School District hockey team, which has peaked Palmer’s interest. However, plans for that could be canceled if there aren’t enough students interested in it;if plans for the team fall through, he does wants to play for the school rather than his competitive team in NOCO.

Plans after high school for Palmer’s plans for life after high school  is to study to become a video game graphic designer. His goal in helping the video game making process, is “to tell a story.” He is looking at CSU and the Colorado Art Institute to get his major in. His junior year he plans to take the graphic design class offered at Fossil. He wants to learn about the equipment that is used since it is very different than pen and paper drawing.

Palmer does consider himself to be a gamer, finding enjoyment and “wonderment” within various digital worlds. He wants to change gaming platforms and start a new game that does not follow the “set-in-stone standards,” such as companies like Nintendo.

Because of his involvement in theater tech, he plans on helping out with Fossils upcoming musical production of West Side Story. He hopes to learn more about lights, sound, and set design. 

Palmer is an individual who is someone who wants to change the ideas and thoughts that are put into a video game. A strong hockey player who deems his power on ice, a theater techie, and a student who roams the halls of Fossil.