Nobody really hates the freshmen

Nobody really hates the freshmen

If you ask, 14 out of 15 upperclassmen at Fossil Ridge High School would tell you that they hate the freshmen. The freshmen seem to know it, too. But is this so-called “hatred” based in fact, or simply on principle? Is booing the freshmen at assemblies disrespectful, or a tradition?

Caleb, a ninth grader who prefers to keep his last name secret, was asked if he feels accepted by the upperclassmen at his school. He responded, “No, because I’m a freshman. We’re just annoying little dumb people that crowd the halls up.” A school that prides itself on its unity should not be experiencing stereotypes like this. However, Caleb went on to state that he “was actually looking forward to being booed at assemblies, because it’s a cool high school experience.” Obviously, bullying any person or group at Fossil is not okay, but the freshmen seem to accept their fate in good humor.

Nikky Haabestad, another freshman this year, began by making it clear that she respects most upperclassmen, and that she feels that they are very nice to the younger members of the school. She would be “ashamed” of the upperclassmen if they were to boo her class at the assembly, but only because she simply doesn’t see a point to dividing the grades in such ways, stating “a lot of them are like me, and it doesn’t make sense to hate any group of them.”

A couple upperclassmen, such as Nathan Reed, immediately state that they hate the freshmen, and have since their first day of sophomore year. However, with a little digging, the truth comes out. Reed, a senior, says, “okay, I don’t really hate them. They’re just a little annoying.”

Hunter Giest, sophomore, only hates a few freshmen, and it’s purely because they specifically “annoy him”. He will boo the freshmen along with the other upperclassmen at assemblies, because his class was booed last year and “everyone deserves a chance.”

After many interviews, the majority becomes clear. Most upperclassmen don’t hate the freshmen, and none have a legitimate reason for doing so. Booing at assemblies is a “running joke”, and high school is about learning to contend with all sorts of people. Upperclassmen should remember how scared they may have felt in the their first days of high school, and be as helpful as possible. Freshmen, don’t worry. You’ll be sophomores soon enough.

View Comments (2)
$100
$1000