Softball annihilates their first crosstown rival of the week

Continuing their undefeated season, Fossil Ridge High School’s varsity softball team won yet another game against intown rival, Poudre at their home field on Tuesday, September 13. Shutting the Impalas out with a 0-10 win, the Sabercats defend their No. 1 5A ranking for high school softball.

Starting the game off strong with great contact hitting, the Sabercats were able to score a run in the first inning and then 2 runs in the second inning. Fossil then began to pull further away from the Impalas in the third inning by scoring 5 more runs.

Following the scoreless fourth inning, the Sabercats scored 2 more runs to go up 0-10, enacting the mercy rule.

Fossil had 11 overall hits and an overall batting average of 48.3%. The overall fielding percentage was 96.2% with only 1 error.

Junior, Rheanna Will had quite a successful night, hitting a home run in the second inning that resulted in 2 runs being scored. Jayden Mercado and Kirsten Reed contributed to the strong Sabercat offense with Mercado chipping in 3 hits and Reed hitting 2 doubles.

Landyn Bruce led the team defensively pitching 5 shutout innings and striking out 8 batters to earn the win. With Bruce’s crafty pitching, the Impalas were only able to muster 5 hits the entire game.