Senior Travis Avila throwing a screen pass for a touchdown
Photo credit: The Coloradoan
Senior Travis Avila throwing a screen pass for a touchdown Photo credit: The Coloradoan

Football team takes home first win of 2012 season

Photo Credit: The Coloradoan

The SaberCats scooped their first win of the 2012 football season Oct. 5 against Rocky Mountain High School, with a final score of 49-10.

“It was an awesome win for our school, for the coaches, and us as players,” senior quarterback Travis Avila said. “We feel that we are a great team, but our record just hasn’t shown it. It was great to get the first win out of the way.”

The players were all cold, as their sweat nearly turned to slush as it ran down their faces. Still, the temperature wasn’t a factor for FRHS. The team put on a great show; with RMHS fumbling 13 times, SaberCat players did a great job putting them under high pressure situations. The SaberCats played tight defense and strong offense.

The coaches have tried their hardest to succeed; with this recent win over Rocky Mountain they accomplished this goal.  I wouldn’t trade any of the coaches. At the end of each game we lost, when we were all gathered up, Coach Vecchio took it upon himself that we lost, and vowed to make us better and work us harder in order to win. Once we did win, I came up and hugged him and said thanks coach, and when I looked up, he had tears in his eyes and a smile on his face. All the coaches are great coaches.” said junior, Jake Horner.

The defense picked off three balls thrown by Rocky Mountain. This was the upper hand they needed to leave the Lobos with another loss.  Avila threw 223 yards and ran a total of 99 yards to get two touchdowns. Running back Jake Horner ran for two touchdowns to give the team a win in the record books.

The team captains walked out holding hands to show they are brothers on and off the field. “We are a very close-knit team,” Avila said. “From our experiences this summer and this season we have really bonded and learned to trust one another to have our backs out on the field.”

The team will have their next game Oct. 12 at North Stadium against Mountain Range High School. “For next week’s game we cannot get cocky,” Avila said. “We have to work just as hard as we did last week in practice to make sure we get the same result.”