Tutoring helps students of all levels

Tutoring helps students of all levels

“When you teach something, you learn it better than as a student sitting in a classroom,” says Mr. Anastasia, a chemistry teacher at Fossil Ridge High School. Mr. Anastasia requires his AP Chemistry students to log at least six hours of chemistry tutoring throughout the school year “so that they learn the basics much stronger.” Students from other advanced classes, including AP Biology, are also required to tutor students from the lower levels, as teaching basic material to others can help them better understand the more difficult topics in their college-level courses.

img_7575
Matt Adent and Dane Harnisch work on their math homework after school Thursday, October 13, in room W107. Photo Credit: Serena Bettis

Mary Andel, a senior in AP Chemistry, says, “Tutoring is a good way to solidify what you already know while helping somebody else understand.” Fossil offers many tutoring opportunities to students, whether they are looking to tutor or be tutored. Many clubs and honor societies, such as Mu Alpha Theta, also require and encourage their members to tutor other students because it’s a great way to bring the community together and ensure that everyone feels involved and secure. Another reason Mr. Anastasia has his students tutor is because “it allows [students] to do some community service, and it helps me too. Sometimes I get so bogged down with students that need help, I need help.”

For students looking to be tutored, there is chemistry tutoring in room N109 every day except Wednesdays during lunch, math tutoring offered by Mu Alpha Theta in room W107 during lunch and after school (except Fridays), and tutoring in the commons during academic time in Advisory. Many math and science teachers also offer to help their students in their own classrooms during lunch – if you need help, simply ask your teacher and they will be happy to provide assistance.