Christmas comes early from Adopt-a-Family

Fossil Ridge High School brought Christmas to countless families on Friday, December 9. Those in the community who were adopted through the Adopt-A-Family program received free gifts donated by advisory classes at Fossil and participated in Santa’s Workshop facilitated by Student Council members.

Christmas came early to many families and students were able to meet and interact with the family their advisory class was matched with. More than the gift giving, Adopt-a-Family emanated the true meaning behind the holiday season as parents, single mothers or fathers, aunts and uncles, and friends shared a moment to cherished rare opportunities of spending time with their family despite hectic lives. “It’s wonderful to give my kids something I can’t normally do,” said DeAnna Martinez. “My family was determined to make it here even with a flat tire.” Martinez is a single mother of five children who has had many concerns on the heavy financial burden her family wrestles with. “My son has a disability, but has been off oxygen for the last five years.” she stated. However, despite the severe medical problems that have put Martinez and her family  in this position, it has allowed them to “be thankful for the little things in life, even if it just sprinkles on a cookie.”

Martinez is not the only family who has benefited from Adopt- a -Family. Dallas Rose Barrett brought her family of four children to decorate cookies and meet Santa. “It’s hard to make spending time a priority when you know putting a roof over their heads is what they need,” Barrett lamented. The festivities hosted at Fossil brought forth moments to be cherished for each family, including Barrett’s. Barrett has recently become a single mother due to her previous husband’s affair with another man. “We are in the middle of a divorce and custody battle,” said Barrett. “Just being with my kids makes me happy.” Barrett’s story is shared and understood by many other parents dealing with long work hours, financial struggles, and other similar situations who were congregated at Fossil.

A navy seal veteran, Don L, was also present at Fossil’s Adopt-a-Family night. He is a full time student at Front Range Community College working 16 hour shifts, six days a week. “It is very hard to spend time with my three kids,” L exclaimed, “it’s great being here tonight with them.” L entered the navy at the age of 17, but had to leave after two and a half years due to injuries. He has decided to go back to school for computer aid and drafting to “find better work and less hours.” L received financial assistance for his schooling through FAFSA. He was recently laid off and hopes that schooling will change his situation for the better.

Every Christmas season, many families are touched in personal ways through the partnerships that Adopt-A-Family forms with local businesses, schools, and other organizations. Fossil students have been coordinating and organizing donations within their advisory classes. Upon meeting adopted families, students have become more aware of their community and not as ignorant to the current societal issues that many less privileged families deal with every day.