Mckenna Schultz and Brit Mishak double team opponent in a press defense. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

A broken school record and a tournament championship for girls basketball

Thursday, December 15 kicked off the beginning of a Power to Play tournament for the Fossil Ridge High School varsity basketball team. Their first game was against Westminister High School. The Sabercats dominated the court the entire game, staying in the lead quarter after quarter. The first quarter ended with a score of 29-4 and then the first half went on and ended with Fossil leading 44-7. The second half began and the third quarter ended 68-18. The final score of the first game of the tournament was 92-28 in favor of Fossil.

[slideshow_deploy id=’17015′]

The second game took place on Friday, December 16 against Bear Creek High School. The Sabercats solidified a second win with a score of 75-37. Ashley Steffeck had 16 points while Reilly Dunn and Kylie Metcalf each had 8 points. Katey Guzman took the only charge of the night in the second quarter. The team went 20/24 and an impressive 83% from the free throw line.

The third and final game of the tournament was the most intense and exciting one. Not only did Steffeck break a school record but the Sabercats came out on top against Valor Christian High School. Fossil ended the game defeating Valor Christian 60-56 and earned the championship title of the tournament. The first quarter was a tight won with an ending score of 17-15, in favor of Fossil. The Eagles then picked up their game and took the 25-33 lead going into halftime. The Sabercats came out in the second half strong closing the gap to 40-41 at the end of the third quarter. Fossil took off from there with tough defense and an intense offensive drive. They ended with a win and took home a tournament championship. Steffeck was the MVP of the night scoring 35 points and breaking her sister’s, Sami Steffeck, school record of 31 points.

Fossil has one more game before winter break begins. They will compete against Lakewood High School on Wednesday, December 21 at 6:30 pm. The game is home so come out and support your basketball Sabercats.