The Sabercats prove that they can give No. 2 Poudre a challenge

Fossil Ridge High School’s wrestling team competed against Poudre High School on Thursday, December 22. The Impalas were ranked No. 2 in state last year. The Sabercats proved that they could keep up with Poudre ending the night with a close score of 33-44, in favor of the Impalas. 5 of 12 Sabercats won their duals and earned the team points.

The first dual of the night ended with a win for Fossil. Will Hendrickson pinned his opponent, Joe Luna in the first period at 1:22. Hendrickson earned 6 points for the team and an early lead for the Sabercats.

Zach Klingner was up next but he had no one to compete against for his 132 weight class. He won by forfeit and increased Fossil’s lead to 12-0.

Nathan Meyer puts Branden Rivera in a head lock. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Nathan Meyer had the third win of the night for the Sabercats. He competed against Branden Rivera and pinned him at 5: 39 in the third period.

Brennen Houchin tries to get Josh Cortez onto his back. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The dual following Meyer’s was Brennen Houchin against Josh Cortez. Houchin won by out scoring Cortez 12-7.

The last winner for Fossil was Aaron Swets. He won by forfeit because Poudre did not have a wrestler for the 220 weight class.

The Sabercats will come back to compete in a tournament at Fort Collins High School after break on Saturday, January 7 at 8:00 am. Come out to support the wrestlers in one of their few in-town matches.