Fossil ridge swimmer Bayley Stewart finishing her 100 butterfly. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

Fossil Ridge girls swimming dominates Fort Collins city meet

On Thursday, January 12, Fossil Ridge girls swim team faced off against the other three top major schools in the Poudre School District. Rocky Mountain High School, Fort Collins High School, and Poudre High School all competed against the mighty Ridge Nation but fell short under the dominance that our Sabercats. Fossil finished the night with a final score of 714 points, Rocky placed second with 537 points, Fort Collins received third with 466 points, and Poudre was fourth with 330 points

Starting with the one meter swim. Morgan McCarthy Fort Collins finished first with a top score of 270.8. Rocky Mountain’s Rachel Holland came in second with a final score of 255.8. Finally, Fossil’s Alexia Dellinger came in third with a finishing score of 214.05.

The 50 freestyle was the next event in the meet. Fossil took dominance of this event scoring in the top three places. Fossil’s Kylee Alons came in first with a final time of 00:23.05. Fossil’s Madeleine Mason finished second with a final time of 00:25.06. Lastly, Fossil’s Bailey Kovac finished third with a final time of 00:25.24.

The 100 freestyle was the next event following the 50 freestyle. Audrey Reimer from Fort Collins finished with a final time of 00:53.69. Madeleine Mason finished in second with a final time of 00:54.45. Rocky’s Amy Fromme finished third with a final time of 00:55.17.     

100 backstroke followed shortly after the 100 freestyle event. Fossil’s Bayley Stewart came in first with with a time of 00:56.80. Audrey Reimer tailed Stewart with a finishing time 00:57.98 placing second. Finally,  Leslie Gilsdorf finished in third with a time of 01:03.01.

The first place holder for the 100 butterfly was won by Bayley Stewart with a final time of 00:59.31. Fossil’s Caraline Baker followed shortly after Stewart, finishing her swim with a final time of 00:59.61. Fort Collin’s Madi Hunter tailed Baker finishing third with a final time of 01:01.73.

Bailey Kovac finished the 100 breaststroke in first place with a time of 01:06.44. Baker finished second yet again with a time of 01:06.44. Finally, Collin’s Ashley Zhou finished with a time of 01:16.65.

The 200 freestyle was the next event in the meet. Rocky’s Emily Barrier finished first with a time of 01:59.35. Fossil’s Phoebe Huey finished second with 02:06.17 as her time. Finally, Fossil’s Summer Siverts finished third with a time of 02:07.66.

The 200 individual medley followed shortly after the 200 freestyle. Fossil’s Cameron Kovac taking first with a final time of 02:13.40. Rocky’s Kaitlin Pryor finished second with 02:19.49 as her final time. Finally, Fossil’s Riley Green finished in third place with a final time of 02:19.89.

The 500 freestyle was the last individual event of the night. Fossil’s Kylee Alons finished first with a final time of 05:14.22. Emily Barrier finished her swim with a time of  05:16.61. Lastly, Madi Hunter finished third with a final time of 05:29.20.

The 200 freestyle relay event was the first relay of the night. Fossil’s relay team consisted of Cameron Kovac, Madeleine Mason, Caraline Baker, and Phoebe Hue. Fossil’s relay team went on to win first for this event with a final time of 01:42.49. Rocky tailed behind Fossil with 01:43.10 and Fort Collins followed shortly after with a time of 01:49.59.

The second to last event was the 200 medley relay. Fossil yet again scored first out of the other three schools participating. This time, the team consisted of Bayley Stewart for the backstroke, Bailey Kovac for the breaststroke, Kylee Alons for the butterfly, and Madeleine Mason for the freestyle. These girls finished their swim with a finishing time of 01:47.15. The other Fossil relay team that placed consisted of Emma Stahl, Caraline Baker, Riley Green, and Phoebe Huey  placed second with their second relay team. They came in second with a time of 01:56.00. Fort Collins placed third with a finishing time of 01:57.31.

The final event of the evening was the 400 freestyle relay. Another Fossil victory came out of this event with a finishing time of 03:37.32. The relay team consisted of Bailey Kovac, Bayley Stewart, Cameron Kovac, and Kylee Alons. Rocky finished second with a time of 03:49.02. Fort Collins placed third with a time of 03:51.00.