The tale of two swimmers

Kovac and Sullivan posing for a team captain picture. Photo credits: Kelsey Sullivan

The Fossil Ridge girls swimming season is almost at an end. With the state competition as their final meet. This would be a great opportunity to converse with two captains from the team, Bailey Kovac and Kelsey Sullivan, and get a good idea for the upcoming tournament.

Sullivan, a dedicated Sabercat swimmer. Playing all four years of her high school career, she has been devoted to working hard everyday. “Being a team captain this year has been a great experience for me. Spending a vast amount of your time with your teammates creates a bond that can’t happen anywhere else.”

Sullivan’s outlook for the state competition is unpredictable. “With Colleen Gillian injured for the 100 meter butterfly and the 50 meter freestyle, and Bailey Stewart injured for 100 backstroke.” Sullivan replied, “They will still swim during the event, but their injuries might affect their swimming. It is very unclear how the tournament will turn out next week. But, I’ve always had hope for the team, and even though we have two really good players hurt, I still have faith that they’ll give it their all. We will be successful.”

Bailey Kovac, a passionate swimmer since she first started. Like Sullivan,  Kovac has been swimming all four years of her high school career as well. “I have always been competitive. Many people in my family swim. Since I first started, I have been interested in pushing myself everyday to be the best that I can be.”

Kovac, foresees a positive outcome for the state competition. “There are plenty of people participating during the tournament. Every single one of them have pushed themselves harder than anyone else I know.” She then replied, “I have high hopes for our final swim meet. We have generally been a very intimidating team this year.”

Both Kovac and Sullivan have dedicated their time and skills to help better their team. With that said, they have both enjoyed their four years with the team. “I just cannot believe the time has flown by that quickly.” Sullivan recalled, “I have hope that next year’s girls will have as much passion and dedication to the sport as I did.”

The state competition will be held on Thursday the 9th and on Friday the 10th at the VMAC Swim Center, Thornton, CO.    

$100
$1000