Cameron Kovac preparing herself for the 200 meter freestyle. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya
Dave Montoya

Fossil girls swimming wins state title

Fossil Ridge High School’s girls swim team’s clear sight to victory proved successful on Friday, February 10th. 

The Sabercats proved their dominance in the water by finishing first in 9 out of the 12 events. By winning the event. Fossil finished the 5A title with 390 points.

Not only that the Sabercats went on to break three state records.

Rowdy student section at VMAC (Veteran’s Memorial Aquatics Center). Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

Colleen Gillian finished the 100 meter butterfly in a new record time of 53.15 seconds. Past Fossil Ridge student, Bailey Nero, was the previous record holder . Gillilan also finished third in the 50 meter freestyle and was apart of Fossil’s successful 200 meter medley and 200 meter freestyle relay events.

Zoe Bartel finishing up her 100 meter breaststroke. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

Bailey Stewart finished first in the 100 meter backstroke in 53.94 seconds. Teammate Bailey Kovac came in second with a time of 54.72.

Zoe Bartel won the 100 meter breaststroke with an astounding record time of 1:22.00. Bartel also went on to finish first in the 200 meter individual medley in 1:59.00.

Bartel couldn’t seem to get out of the limelight with 2 other appearances in the 200 meter medley and 400 meter free relay championship events.

Kylee Alons showed Colorado that she was the top sprinter in the state. Alons went on to win the 50 meter freestyle in 22.64 and the 100 meter freestyle with a time of 49.83. Alons also participated in the 200 meter medley and 400 meter free relay events.

With the 200 meter individual medley. The Sabercats finished in not only first, but second and third place, going 1-2-3 in the event. Kovac and Stewart in second and third, while Bartel placed first.

Kovac, Stewart, and Bartel together bringing in the 1-2-3 for the 200 meter individual medley. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

Fossil Ridge girls swimming proved to the state that they were the best. With this being the third title in the past six years.

From the looks of it, Fossil’s forthcoming season is quite prosperous.      

$100
$1000