Fossil forensics team blows state qualifier out of the water

On Saturday, February 18, Fossil Ridge High School’s Forensics and Debate team competed in the Region 1 State Qualifier at Northridge High School. Of the twelve people who competed, a whopping six qualified for the state tournament on March 17 and 18. Another two competitors became eligible to compete at state as alternates, should someone have to back out. Lauren Fessler, senior captain of the team, explained that, “getting 50% of the team to qualify is no easy task, so the team is just over the moon. It’s the biggest state showing for Fossil in my four years.”

The students were successful in a variety of speech and debate events. Ciera Dykstra and James Zheng’s event was National Extemporaneous Speaking, in which the participant is given a current topic that they must research, write, and memorize a seven minute speech on. Another two Sabercats, Fessler and Matthew Paskey, are Original Orators who crafted a ten minute informative or persuasive speech using evidence, logic, and emotional appeals. The final qualifiers, Max Banks and Holly Ryan, competed in Public Forum debate, where they debated a current event against another team of two, with rounds of opening statements, rebuttals, and crossfire.

The forensics team has been busy this month, with National Congressional qualifiers having taken place on February 4. At that tournament, Dykstra, Ryan, and Fessler qualified as alternates in the House of Representatives and the Senate. For an explanation of the nuances of debate competition, click here.

Many sports and other clubs participate in tournaments throughout the season to determine their regional ranking, then work their way through a state and eventually a national bracket. However, the debate team’s state and national qualifiers are completely independent of one another. Students can perform well at a national but not a state qualifier, and represent their team at the national competition without ever attending state. Fossil’s forensics team is very hopeful for March’s competitions because of their strong showings this month, which demonstrate a team who works hard and believes in each other.

This debate season, the tournament schedule is scattered between state and national competitions. On March 3 and 4, Fossil will be hosting the Rocky Mountain North National Qualifier. CHSAA’s state event will be held March 17 and 18. Come support your Sabercats, who’ll be representing Fossil all day. As Fessler put it, “these things start early and end late.”