Updated: Allen contract will not be renewed

Update: Danielle Clark, Executive Director of Communications in Poudre School District, responded to a request for comment by asking that students “respect the confidentiality and privacy of this issue.” Though they understand that rumors may start, the district “cannot and will not give details about [Allen’s contract or] the reasons for Dr. Smyser’s decision.”

At 8:00 AM on Thursday, May 11, the Fossil Ridge High School community of students, parents, and staff was notified that former Principal Will Allen’s contract will not be renewed. Scott Nielsen, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools, wrote that the reasons for Superintendent Dr. Sandra Smyser’s decision, “are confidential and I cannot share them.”

Dr. Julie Chaplain, acting interim principal since April 17 when Allen was placed on administrative leave, will continue in her position until the end of the school year. She will preside over all graduation and end-of-year activities as well. Over the summer, Smyser and Nielsen will, “select an interim principal for next year and inform the Fossil Ridge community via email.” A full copy of the email sent to Fossil students can be found here.

Nielsen concluded the notification with a thank you to students for their understanding and for continuing to exemplify Sabercat values.