Volleyball loses undefeated streak in Eaglecrest Tournament

Fossil Ridge High School volleyball played in its first tournament of the season. They played four teams over the course of two days starting Friday, September 16 at the Eaglecrest Tournament.

The beginning of the tournament started off well for Fossil when they played Pine Creek High School. The Sabercats won all three sets maintaining their undefeated season. The first set ended with a score of 25-16 and the second set with a score of 25-18. The final set was close but Fossil pulled through with a 25-22 win.

Fossil then played Denver East High School in their first game of the season that went into four sets. The Sabercats dominated in the first two sets finishing with a score of 25-8 in the first set and 25-19 in the second. However Fossil was overpowered in the third set and lost 18-25. Determined to win, Fossil redeemed themselves by winning the final set 25-22.

The first day of the tournament was successful for Fossil, winning both games they played and holding onto their undefeated title. However the second day of the tournament was not as successful for the Sabercats.

Fossil started began their second day of the tournament playing Eaton High School. The girls played three sets all in which they lost. The Sabercats came out strong in the first set but unfortunately lost by three points, the set ended with a score of 22-25. The second set was a close one as well, but again Fossil couldn’t keep up with Eaton losing the set 21-25. Going into the third set Fossil fell behind Eaton and couldn’t manage to come back, they finished the final set with a score of 16-25. This was the first loss for Fossil all season.

Mountain Vista High School was the last team Fossil played in the Eaglecrest Tournament. The Sabercats didn’t come out as strong in the first set, losing 19-25. However the Sabercats finished the final two sets strong, almost winning both. The second set was intense and Fossil came close to winning, but Mountain Vista took that set as well 23-25. Again Fossil came onto the court determined to make a comeback but faltered to the Eagles. It was another close game and the girls finished the set 23-25.

Fossil had an outstanding first day at the Eaglecrest Tournament winning both their games on Friday. However Fossil relinquished its undefeated title and moved down to fourth in state after losing both of their games on Saturday. Fossil will play its first home game against the Poudre High School Impalas on Tuesday, September 19. Come support your lady Sabercats and congratulate the team on an outstanding season so far.