Marching to BJ’s Brewhouse

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Photo Credit: Macy Fowler

Macy Fowler

On Wednesday, September 13, a large crowd walked from Fossil Ridge High School to BJ’s Brewhouse for the March of Dimes, which is put on annually by the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). The March of Dimes is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to better the health of mothers and premature babies. Jessica Yang, a sophomore, said, “I believe that it brings awareness to the difficulty that premature babies go through.” The March of Dimes first started as the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, which was founded by former President Franklin D.Roosevelt in 1938. According to the organization, almost half a million babies are born prematurely or with birth defects each year in the US. Jordan Manning, a junior, took part in March of Dimes because, “I enjoy knowing that I’m doing something for a good cause and knowing that I’m making a difference for someone or a family of someone.” Manning had a family friend whose child was born prematurely, so she knows the struggle of premature birth.

“This is the main charity event that FBLA does throughout the year,” said FBLA president Lexi Nyland. FBLA and Fossil worked with BJ’S Brewhouse for an even larger profit for March of Dimes. Participants were handed a flyer and once they got to BJ’s, they could give the flyer to their waiter and 20% of their total went towards the fundraiser.

Grace Geraghty, a junior at Fossil, took part in March of Dimes because, “I just like fundraisers. I don’t get many opportunities to help organizations, so when they’re at our school it’s easier to help out.” The March of Dimes hit close to Geraghty because she has twin cousins who were born prematurely. Anjana Peddi, a sophomore, took part in March of Dimes because she thinks it’s a really good cause. “It helps bring awareness to the nonprofit, which is trying to help premature babies. I think it is important to support the cause.” Peddi herself was born prematurely and she hopes that in the future, babies that are born prematurely don’t have to experience what she did.