The Playlist: Colors

Alternative Indie star Beck released his thirteenth album Friday, October 13 titled Colors. Fans of Beck typically know that he is no average artist, for fans of 90s hits they may know his hits such as “Loser” and “Where it’s at?” his stuff is a bit on the odd side with creative lyrics and strange instrumentals. Within Beck’s most recent albums, his sound has shifted to a somewhat more modern pop feel. Colors reflects Beck’s original style while adding an energetic feel that resembles a live show with the comfort of lying in bed. After several delays on the album, Colors is now available and flashy as ever.

In 2015 Beck released his hit single off the album titled “Dreams”, and it is a track that hits the ground running. “Dreams” starts with a chucked guitar that’s flashy and funky combined with a technicolor beat transforming the guitar to completely stand out. The song is something to be played at a dance party in a mist of celebration of life.

“Up all night” is a track done in such a pop style it reminds me of Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t stop the feeling” due to how upbeat the song is. As Timberlake made millions of people dance Beck holds the same potential, despite Beck not being as big as Timberlake. “Up all night” is a pure party song with the roller coaster the goes along with the party.

Beck also takes on the style of famous rap artist Drake, with his single “wow”. Heavy bass, a groove to easily keep in time with, and passionate yet strange lyrics keep the listener enveloped in the world of Colors. The lyrical rhyming of “jiu jitsu” and “shih tzu” screams absolutely nothing important, just creativity, everything in the lyrics is irrelevant when the words “wow” echo through the speakers in a hypnotic fashion.

Following more on a blues note “Dear life” breaks the party scene, in a note of depression that rings through the strings of a piano and a chucked guitar highlighting the keys singing the blues. The lyrics dealing with how time flies in a fashion where in the last moments we want to grasp it “Dear life, I’m holding on How long must I wait Before the thrill is gone” Beck creating the general message where life is worthwhile in a world where everyone is waiting on death.

Colors has proven to be an album that was well worth waiting for, including the several delays. Beck in his weird sense of techy style combining with the pop music on the radio today. The cliche messages in almost every song on the album are made interesting due to Beck’s signature of weird and odd is the new cool. As a fan of his music in the past, I keep finding myself to want more of the unique tech rock that is the style of an artist like Beck.   Beck’s Colors paints a picture that isn’t covered in his 1990’s name, but instead Colors makes something more of Beck’s music.

Etched in Stone • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$1000