Seniors commit to their futures on Signing Day

Haley Rockwell

When athletes approach their four years of high school, they have one thing in mind and that is earning a college scholarship. Hard work, commitment, determination, and drive are all characteristics of the twelve Fossil Ridge High School student-athletes that signed their national letter of intent on Wednesday, November 8.

Fossil Ridge signees

The recruiting process is not always the most joyful thing, it is stressful; wondering what coaches are going to come to watch you, if you’re going to get a call that night, what the offer is going to be, where you’re going to end up, if that school is going to be a good fit for you. There is a lot that goes into that process, all the while you are a student that has to balance education with the sport you play. Twelve Sabercats are no longer recruits, they have signed on the dotted line and have become one of their college’s athletes.

Undefeated in the state of Colorado in high school swimming over their high school careers, Matt Geraghty and Danny Kovac signed their colleges. Geraghty will attend Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio while Kovac will attend the University of Missouri. “Since his freshman year, Matt has been super dedicated to swimming and I’ve seen a tremendous growth by him, Xavier is lucky to get a swimmer like him,” Fossil boys swim coach Mark Morehouse exclaims. Not only is Kovac undefeated in Colorado but he also won state titles in 100m backstroke and the 200m free relay as a freshman which is very rare in the boys side of swimming. Morehouse states, “There are a lot of positive things about Danny and as a coach you would want the characteristics that he has, Mizzou is getting a very kind and talented swimmer.”

Alumni, Sam Ybarra returned to Fossil after graduating at the end of the 2016-2017 school year to sign to Eastern Michigan University. He had some ups and downs when it came to getting recruited the past year, but “he has trained his butt off and finally found a program that will be a great fit for him.” Ybarra concluded the male swimmers which was only three of the eight that signed.

Switching gears, lacrosse player Madeleine Mason was up next. She will be continuing her career at the University of Denver which is a top 10 Division-I school for women’s lacrosse. District lacrosse coach, Pam Kramer states “I think Madeleine will be an asset to the team and I’m jealous of that coach who will get her for four years when I only got her for two.”

Tyler Lindgren, a huge asset to Fossil’s defending state volleyball team, was next to sign to Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her club coach and aunt spoke on her behalf, “I had the opportunity to work with Tyler since she was nine-years-old. She always works her butt off, that has never been an issue but I knew there was a challenge that she had to get through to be sitting here today. Being a leader and making a difference on the court was her challenge and she met it with determination in her eyes.” Lindgren’s work ethic, drive, and passion allowed her the opportunity to continue her academic and athletic career at Temple.

The five girls swimmers were next to sign, starting with Andrea Niemann who will be going up north to the University of Wyoming. “Her sense of humour is one of her best qualities. She brought the dance party to state last season and I think that is what ultimately got us the win,” Fossil coach Carolyn Fries exclaims.

CJ Kovac, the second Kovac to sign of the day, will be attending Boise State University for swimming. “She is wonderful. She is coachable. She is easy to get along with. She is always positive. She is one who, last year we had a couple gaps in the state lineup and I looked at CJ and ask ‘what are you thinking’ and she says ‘I don’t know coach, put me in wherever you need me and I’ll do my best,’” Fries commented. Boise State is getting a swimmer that pushes those next to her in the pool and inspires her teammates to do their best by leading by example.

Home school athlete, Kylee Alons swims for Fossil and will further her academic and athletic career at North Carolina State University. Having moved out to Fort Collins last year to be closer to family, Fossil was lucky to let her join the team. Fries says, “Kylee gets on the starting blocks and then absolutely destroys everyone in the water next to her. She’s been such a great addition to the team.” NC State is getting a someone who has an outgoing personality that makes everyone smile around her as well as someone who loves her teammates and the sport.

Headed to the University of Notre Dame for swimming, Bayley Stewart was up next to sign. She had a goal at the beginning of the last season and was going to stop at nothing to accomplish it. That drive and determination is what lead her to accomplish that goal of sitting there, signing her letter of intent.

The final female swimmer to sign was Zoe Bartel, who will be going to Stanford University. She is well-known in the swimming world from her success nationally. “Just as much as she is proud to represent the United States, she is also proud to represent Fossil Ridge and she works just as hard wherever she is,” Fries observed. Bartel’s ability to bring those around her up to the next level is one of the many reasons she was given this opportunity.

Nolan Drop was the second lacrosse player to sign and he will be attending North Greenville University in Tigerville, South Carolina. Chris Cerrigone spoke on his behalf, “Right out of the gate he had great work ethic and an attribute that comes to find is that he is a team player which are two qualities that I think will help him excel at the next level.”

Calvin Marley was the final signee of the day and he will be attending Wichita State University to further his academic and baseball career. His club coach, retired recruiter states, “I know Wichita State will be getting a guy that they are going to love and that will do everything that he needs to do to make a difference out on the baseball field.” Marley is extremely athletic, having been involved in multiple sports outside of baseball, like; track, football, and basketball. Having multiple possible paths, he chose baseball and many people support his choice. “I am betting on you and I believe in you, good luck at Wichita State.”

These twelve athletes will embark on the next chapter of their life following graduation in the spring. They will also be joined with more signees in February after the next National Letter of Intent Day. Congratulations to these athletes.