Fossil Ridge swim competes in Legacy Girls Relay Invite

Fossil Ridge competing at Legacy Girls Relay Invite. Photo Credit: Natalie Anderson

Emily Brey & Olivia Doro

Fossil Ridge High School has started their girls swimming season, with divers swimming at the Legacy Girls Relay Invite on Saturday, December 9. 

The results for the meet are as follows:

Event 1 Girls 200 Yard Medley 4x50BkBrFlFr Relay: Fossil placed first, fifth and twenty first. The first place group won with a final time of 1:55.25 and the swimmers who participated were Andrea Niemann, Riley Green, CJ Kovac, and Emily Rinker. The Sabercats also placed fifth with a time of 2:08.50. Swimmers who placed twenty first finished with a time of 2:37.34.

Kovac, a four year participant of the Fossil Ridge swim team, and member of the winning 200 Yard Medley commented, “My team performed as if this wasn’t the beginning of our season, we put our differences aside and focused on winning. We all had a common goal in mind which brought us even closer, and definitely forced everyone to work as hard as they could, and give it their all.”

Event 2 Girls 200 Yard Butterfly 4x50Fly Relay: Once again Fossil placed first, fifth, and thirteenth. The first place group won with a time of 1:53.88 and the swimmers were Mia Strong, Phoebe Huey, Mahala Erlandson, and Emma Stahl. Fifth place had a time of 2:02.95 and thirteenth placed with a time of 2:34.44.

Event 3 Girls 500 Yard Freestyle Cresc4x50100150200 Relay: Rocky Mountain High School placed first with a 4:47.36 time. The Sabercats placed second, third, and twelfth. Fossil took second place with a time of 5:02.26 and swimmers who competed were Jaidyn Nelson, Julia Ross, Elizabeth Mitchell, and CJ Kovac. Third place had a time of 5:25.00 and twelfth place finished with a time of 6:27.78.

Event 4 Girls 400 Yard Medley 4x100IM Relay: The Lobos took first place in this event as well with a time of 4:17.40. Fossil placed second, seventh, and nineteenth. The Sabercats finished second with a time of 4:19.40 and the competitors were Emily Rinker, Merle Wacker, Hadley Nelson, and Andrea Niemann. Seventh place swimmers finished with a time of 4:57.91 and the nineteenth placed swimmers finished with a time of 5:53.64.

Event 5 Girls 400 Yard Medley 4x100BkBrFlFr Relay: Another event that Fossil took first place as well as seventh. The first place swimmers Emma Stahl, Riley Green, Mahala Erlandson, and Phoebe Huey had a time of 4:15.50 and seventh place had a time of 4:57.50.

Event 6 Girls 200 Yard Freestyle 4x50Fr Relay: Second, tenth, twenty-fifth, and twenty-ninth place were all awarded to Fossil; but Legacy High School took first place. The second place Sabercats Emma Stahl, Mia Strong, Julia Ross, and Jadyn Nelson had a time of 1:47.49. The other times on order of highest to lowest placement for Fossil were 1:59.41, 2:15.20, and 2:23.14.

Event 7 Girls 200 Yard Backstroke 4x50Bk Relay: Although Fossil didn’t place first, they placed second. The first place win went to Rocky again with a time of 1:55.93. The Sabercats took second place with a time of 2:00.25 and the swimmers were Hadley Nelson, Mia Strong, Jaidyn Nelson, and Kara Trombley.

Event 8 Girls 200 Yard Breaststroke 4x50Br Relay: First place went to Loveland High School with a time of 2:14.74 and Fossil placed second and eighth. The second place time was 2:17.68 and the swimmers were Emily Rinker, Riley Green, Mahala Erlandson, and Kara Trombley. The Sabercats took eighth place as well with a time of 2:38.63.

Event 9 Girls 400 Yard Freestyle 4x100Fr Relay: Another event for Fossil to take first place as well as eighth, fifteenth, nineteenth, and twenty-third. The first place girls had a time of 3:45.29 and the competitors were CJ Kovac, Andrea Niemann, Elizabeth Mitchell, and Phoebe Huey. The other times on order of highest to lowest placement for Fossil were 4:16.63, 4:48.74, 5:14.05, and 7:03.56.

Event 10 Girls 300 Yard Freestyle 6x50Fr Relay: The worst event for Fossil by far as the girls placed seventh, eighth, twentieth, twenty-first, twenty-second, twenty-fifth, thirty-first, and thirty-fifth. Eighth place girls consisted of Mahala Erlandson, Phoebe Huey, Elizabeth Mitchell, and Georgia Ewer with a time of 2:57.54. The other times on order of highest to lowest placement for Fossil were 3:23.15, 3:25.26, 3:25.43, 3:27.61, 3:45.33, and 4:06.63.

“As a team we will continue to work towards the goals we made for both the team as a whole and ourselves individually. Our plan for the rest of this season is to earn the best results we can, and put ourselves in a position to take home both another conference and state championship title,” stated Kovac in an interview after the meet.

Congratulations Fossil for a great performance at the invitational meet, and good luck this season! If you want to stay updated with athletics here at Fossil Ridge, follow @frhssportsnews on Twitter!