Late Night Sessions Photo Credit: garyclarkjr.com

The Playlist: Gary Clark Jr. bringing blues back

The art of blues seems like it has lost its popularity, it’s being listened to casually for pure enjoyment. The fact that the music has been deemed as “too slow” is saddening, because blues music is the base of rock ‘n’ roll. Gary Clark Jr. is one artist who is making blues cool again with every chord played on his hypnotic guitar, and every vocal gracing the ears of those who listen.

Gary Clark Jr. a rock-blues guitarist from Austin, Texas who has created quite a name for himself by performing with big rock stars such as Eric Clapton, B. B. King, and the Rolling Stones. His music doesn’t disappoint; Clark brings a unique sound to the table with his playing that stays true to a semi- traditional blues style.

This young gun was on the rise from his early teens when he started playing gigs in Austin until Clark gained momentum with promoter Clifford Antone, who got Clark a chance to play at Antone’s. Antone opened one of the first major blues bars in Austin leading, to ever so famous Music City, hence why Clark only went up from there.

Clark’s album “Blak and Blu”, released in 2012, was an album that brought more to the table than expected. The range of emotion expanded across the table through lyrics, which brings new light matching the stylistic guitar. It that expanded across more geres than blues, as the sounds of soul, rock, and R&B strongly showed through Clark’s music.

At the current age of 33 Clark has helped revive what seemed to be the long-lost art of blues music. At this point only more can be expected of the talented Gary Clark Jr. He continues to push and expand the boundaries of blues, in the respect of it not being something lost in the realm of ever-changing music.

Etched in Stone • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$1000