Editor’s Note: Setting goals for success

Serena Bettis

Only two weeks into the calendar year, the Etched in Stone staff has already completed one of our goals for 2018: submit our publication to the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) Pacemaker Awards. Pacemaker Awards, though they do not keep people’s hearts beating like medical pacemakers, act as a forum that displays publications that are the heartbeat of student journalism. Every aspect of a publication is taken into account when up for consideration for a Pacemaker, including quality of content, spectrum of coverage, photography, design, and additional graphics and multimedia.

One major goal for our program since I have been involved in it has been expanding our coverage. Four years ago, someone would publish a new article to the website on a weekly basis. The reality of news, however, is that it constantly changes. With advanced technologies and social media, in order to stay relevant, we have to stay up to date every single day. Our coverage improves every year, and nearly every month as well, and we are continuing to give our writers tools to improve the quality of their reporting with each article published.

Though Etched in Stone has received awards of commendation from the Colorado Scholastic Media Association before, the Pacemaker Awards allow us to see where we stand when reviewed on a national level. There is always room to grow, and this grants us the opportunity to find our weakest areas and strengthen them, so that in the coming years we can make winning, or receiving a top-tier ranking, one of our next goals.

Goal setting is important for our publication because it gives us direction and purpose for our work. Creating achievable but realistic goals allows our staff members to grow in all aspects of journalism, and gives them skills that will be helpful if they choose to pursue a career in journalism or become an astronaut. Our other goals for the spring semester include expanding the quality and quantity of our features, enhancing our photography skills, and finding more unity and support within our staff. Each of these goals will take time, dedication, and the acceptance of failure in order to learn, but I believe that the Etched in Stone staff has what it takes, and more. Our final top priority that will never change is to serve the Fossil Ridge High School community, and provide our readers with accurate, relevant reporting.