Fossil heads to the Final Four after beating no. 1 Fruita Monument

Rushing the court after a close fourth quarter Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

After breaking the Sweet 16 wall the Fossil Ridge High School girls basketball team stepped onto the court of the Denver Coliseum. After a season of fighting, growth, and goal getting the girls had finally made it. They faced the number one seed Fruita Monument High School, a tough opponent to play in their first game at the Coliseum.

When asked how the girls would perform both head coach Chad Salz and junior captain Ashley Steffeck replied with confidence. Steffeck said “Very excited. Anxious, nervous, all of it. I’m pretty confident in us. I think we’ll handle them perfectly fine and I have full faith that we’ll be able to move on.” Coach Salz replied with “We have nothing to lose and all the pressure’s on them.” Both of them were right.

Fossil coasted through the first half dominating rebounds, three point shots, and free throws. Steffeck and senior captain Katey Guzman dominated the scoreboard in the first quarter. Steffeck had 6 and Guzman had 9, sophomore Lauren Zwetzig also had a free throw shot that put Fossil in the lead 16-7 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was another one for the Sabercats. Senior Riley Dunn and sophomore Sophia Hadad led the second quarter. Hadad had 7 and Dunn had 4. It was clearly Fossil’s half in the matter of points, shots, turnovers, and ball control. The Sabercats went into the half still leading Fruita 27-18.

In the third quarter there was a mix of different shooters with only Hadad scoring twice. Along with her junior Kaysen Hobbs, Steffeck, Zwetzig, and Dunn scored for Fossil. The girls were still holding onto their lead when the fourth began, 39-25. After three quarters the girls and fans of Fossil were about to realize why Fruita was the no. 1 seed.

Lead scorer for the fourth quarter was Steffeck scoring 7 points. Guzman and Dunn were also top scorers, Guzman 6 and Dunn 4. Hadad also made her free throw shots during the fourth quarter. Although Fossil dominated in their free throws in the last minute of the game, the quarter leading into it had players, fans, and officials on the edge of their seats. Fruita came out to win the fourth quarter absolutely dominating the court and turnovers. Even though is overwhelmed Fossil in the beginning the girls’ road to state wouldn’t end that night. When the buzzer went off and the girls rushed the court with mile wide smiles and tear-filled eyes it was 58-52 Fossil.

Smiles all around after being presented the Great Eight award Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

Sabercats will play next Thursday, March 8 at the Denver Coliseum against Grandview High School. at 7:00 P.M. Come and support these girls on their road to state.