Fossil soccer springs into season

Senior captain Kenady Adams runs the ball into Northglenn’s box Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

The Fossil Ridge High School girls soccer team began their season with an outstanding 3-0 shutout on their home turf Friday, March 9. The girls soccer team was led by senior captains Kenady Adams and Haley Rockwell, who along with their team beat Northglenn High School.

First half was intense and dominated completely by the Fossil offensive line. Right from the kick off the Sabercats took the ball to Northglenn’s half and kept it there for the majority of the half. Both defensive and offensive lines as well as the senior goalkeeper Vicky Graham communicated and passed with ease. The maneuvering, physical footwork, and technique from Fossil helped them get around Northglenn and run the ball up frequently. In the last fifteen minutes of the half Kenady Adams scored two consecutive goals to put the Sabercats in the lead.

Second half was lengthier and colder, with a more back and forth between the teams than the first half. At the beginning of the half Fossil had a penalty kick against them which the defensive lone and goalkeeper successfully blocked. The rest of the half went with more aggression and hands on play from both sides, with a minor injury on the Northglenn side stopping the clock for five minutes. It seemed Fossil had the game 2-0 locked in until sophomore Jazi Barela made a last second (0.8 seconds left on the clock) goal. The amazing shot was a great start into the season for the younger Barela sister who just the night before had lost her Final Four game with the Fossil Ridge varsity basketball team along with seniors Reaghan Lang and Zaeleigh Barela.

Congratulations Sabercats on a great start to your season and a special shout out to the Rocky Mountain High School lacrosse team, that unites players from the Poudre School District, who beat Windsor High School in their first game of the season.