Welcome back, teacher’s pet

It’s that time of year again. As we herald in this fabulous new school year, our fears about the uncertainty of what the year will bring come to the forefront of our minds. Who will my locker partner be? How much homework will I have? Who will throw me into a locker this year? Where will I eat lunch? These, along with many others, cause the bags under our eyes and our stress levels to rise. But there is still one question that scares everyone from the incoming freshman to the experienced senior: will my teachers like me? So, in order to start this year off with a bang, this crash course in how to get on a teacher’s good side is an almost guaranteed success (but please don’t take this too seriously).

#1: Do the math. On the head there are two ears and one mouth; listen and absorb more than talk and interrupt. Teachers appreciate students who appear attentive and focused on learning what they have to say. Yes, there will be times when it will be the most boring thing on the face of the earth, but still listen and take notes, even if it means there are doodles along the edges of the spiral. In regard to talking, don’t be silent. Don’t be the student that the teacher has to call out on in front of the entire class to get them to participate. There is no such thing as a stupid question, don’t be afraid to ask; teachers appreciate students who take risks. Finally, don’t be a student that the teacher has to call out, because they are talking too much when the time isn’t right. Learn when to talk and when to listen.

#2: An apple a day will keep the doctor away. The tradition of bringing teachers an apple is not old fashioned, in fact apples are a good way to keep teachers healthy. Not only that, but they are a good decoration for any desk whether they actually get eaten or not. Know that if they set it out on their desk they want other kids and staff members to know that some kid took time out of their day to bring them an apple. It gives them an edge, along with the reputation of that awesome student.

#3: It’s like clockwork. If a student is on time it shows that they are prepared and anxious to learn. If a student is late it shows laziness or that their social status matters more than class. Not only that, it is a disruption that slows down the class and puts the teacher on edge. Class starts at a certain time; make sure to be there on time or even a little early. But, don’t forget that if there is that day when the clock seems to be moving too fast, always bring the teacher a Starbucks.

#4: My dog ate my homework. On those days when the homework just seems to not have gotten done, don’t fret about it. Remember that when the teacher asks, “Where is your homework?”have a humorous anecdote to come back with. Remember, laughter is always the best remedy.

#5: Hands in the air. Despite what most people think, raised hands make teachers think that their students are actually paying attention. Whether one actually knows the answer or not, raise the hand. Give the best shot at making the answer believable. Teachers like students who participate. They can’t call on every raised hand but having more than one or two hands to choose from makes them feel valued. Be that student that the teacher has to say, “Anyone besides (insert your name here).”

#6: Game show. Teachers love it when students get excited and involved in their class. They love it even more when a student knows an answer and runs to the front of the room to hit their desk as though it was a buzzer like on Jeopardy. They love the enthusiasm that those students have answering those questions, and it starts a trend of chaos in the classroom which adds more to the learning environment. So when raising one’s hand doesn’t work always remember the best way to get the answer heard is to run to the front and act as though there is a buzzer on the teacher’s desk. It is always appreciated.

These are some keys to becoming a teacher’s pet. Fossil Ridge let’s make the 2012-2013 school year, a year teachers will remember – remembered through our spunk and creativity; and if all else fails, bribe them.