Objects in the future are closer than they appear

IMG_20150925_135350_344-1
The College & Career Center is located behind the commons, near the entrance to the Roundhouse. Photo Credit: Serena Bettis

The future is now, and it is never too early to start planning for it. The Career Center at Fossil offers an abundance of services to students looking for advice about their future, including assistance with picking a major and understanding what it takes to get into a student’s first choice. Mrs. Campbell, the Career Center counselor, is extremely excited about helping students, and encourages anyone unsure about their postgraduate plans to schedule an appointment with her and talk about their interests and options.

Anyone interested in speaking with Mrs. Campbell can visit the Career Center, located next to the roundhouse in the back of the commons, and schedule a meeting with her through Mrs. Nye. Mrs. Campbell then sits down with a student to talk about their thoughts on what they want to do after graduation.

For students who are unsure about their options, Naviance is a helpful tool that the counselors in the Career Center utilize. There are many different aptitude tests available to students on Naviance; after taking a test, Mrs. Campbell assists students in matching their interests to a major, and then finding colleges with good programs for that major.

Students are also encouraged to attend the college visits that the Career Center puts together. A representative from a college will come to the Career Center to talk with students interested in attending, and they can answer questions about how to get into the college and what college life is like. Information about college visits are on Naviance as well as on an announcement board in front of the Career Center.

The Career Center also offers a club, created this year, called the College Crew. They meet before school every other Thursday, and act as a think tank for ways to educate students about the services Fossil offers for college planning, and the importance of formulating some plan for the future.

Counselors in the Career Center want students to know that it is better to plan for college during high school, because students are able to take a wide variety of classes to figure out their main interests so that they are more prepared come time to apply for college.

College visits for the week of September 28 – October 2 are:

September 30:
Princeton University – 8:30 AM
Azusa Pacific University – 10 AM
Oral Roberts University – 11 AM
Concordia University – Seward – 1 PM
Northwest University – 1 PM
Calvin College – 2 PM
University of Colorado – Boulder – 2 PM

October 1:
Whitworth University – 10:30 AM

October 2:
Baylor University – 8 AM
High Point University – 8:30 AM

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000