Humans of Fossil: Albert Hastrup

Humans of Fossil: Albert Hastrup

Originally from Denmark, Albert Hastrup, a junior and foreign exchange student at Fossil Ridge High school came to Colorado near the end of August to start school and live with his host family. Albert is 16 years old and was born July 25th 1999 in Denmark. Back home, Hastrup lived with his mom, dad and two sisters. Hastrup said that the houses in Denmark are much smaller than the ones in the United States. He lived in a two story house with his family and would have his relatives over frequently due to them all living close to each other.

Albert first got the idea of coming to the United States as an exchange student last August, he brought up the idea to his parents and they helped him come to Colorado for the school year.  Hastrup said in Denmark you are at the same school from 1st grade to 10th grade and then you go off to high school. “I just wanted a year off from school since this year won’t count for me. I needed some time off from school.” Hastrup stated.  Albert wanted to become an exchange student to see what the culture was like and to get a break from his parents. Hastrup said he likes Fort Collins because it is so unique and he likes living in a bigger city, he also loves the food and thinks it’s so different from what he would eat back at home, such as a dish called frikadeller.  Hastrup gets to talk to his family once a week, on the weekend, he said it is very hard to talk to them during the week because there is an eight hour difference.

Never playing football, Albert tried out form the team, made JV, and plays as a tide end and wide receiver. “I love being a part of a team and practicing every day after school.” Stated Hastrup. As football is winding down Albert would like to also try out for the baseball team and possibly track. Albert has made four close friends while he has been attending Fossil. “My friends come to the JV football games sometimes, and I love being supported by them. On Halloween we went swing dancing down town and that was a blast.” Said Hastrup. Albert is very social and enjoys getting to know new people, he likes that he has made so many new friends from football and being in class. Albert will finish up the school year and head back home the beginning of June.

[socialpoll id=”2310192″]