Fossil Theatre gears up for the spring musical

Audition sign ups

Fossil’s theater program is getting the new year started with the spring musical, West Side Story. This year, the play will be directed by Mrs. Deana Kochis and collaborating with Mr. John Garner, and Mrs. Rust. Kochis has directed before, her most recent work at Fossil was the fall play in 2014, Harvey. On Saturday, January 9, students considering the musical were given the opportunity to participate in an audition workshop; they learned the dance portion of the audition and were given a little bit of information on what will be expected for singing and acting.

Did you miss the audition workshop? No worries, the Fossil drama club has members in the black box everyday during A and B lunch, the week of January 11, ready to teach and review the dance portion of the audition.

Auditions will be held the week of January 19th . Vocal Auditions will be held on Tuesday, January 19, and Wednesday January 20. You can sign up for a time slot of your choice, and all information is posted on the call board. The dance audition will be held Wednesday night from 6-9 pm, and call backs will be Thursday the 21 and Friday the 22.

Kochis and Garner decided on West Side Story this year because they are constantly wanting to challenge students. According to Kochis “We knew we were wanting a show with a decently large cast. When we decided to do Honk we wanted things that go beyond just the characters and the set. Now, with West Side Story, not only do we want a big set, but a lot of musicals are dance intensive, and West Side Story is very dance intensive, so our actors are going to go through that very professional experience.”

For those  that are on the fence about auditioning, the directors encourage everyone to come out and give it a try. There are all kinds of ways you can get information on the auditions. So get your theatre on, and give the school musical a try.

View Comments (9)
$100
$1000