FBLA makes it FRESH

FBLA makes it FRESH

npm008-01_1

FBLA will be initiating a partnership with Fossil’s Fresh Club for “Notes for Cats,” aiming to increase recycling and prompting earth friendly habits: reducing and reusing.

Sabercat faculty and students will be requested to collect used paper in good condition. There will be various collection points around the building, including all classrooms, for convenience. FBLA will gather paper resources which will then go through a press that will attach small wedges of cardboard and adhesive to create sticky notepads. FRESH will be working in collaboration, helping distribute finished products to the staff.

This will be FRESH Club’s first collaboration with an outside organization. Emily Chao, President of FRESH, stated “It’s really exciting to know that other clubs at Fossil are thinking in environmentally friendly directions.” Partnerships, such as FBLA’s outreach, will encourage long- lasting beneficial impacts on the school and beyond. “Cooperation between clubs will expand the types of projects we would be able to accomplish in the future,” exclaimed Chao.

“Notes for Cats,” was inspired for a non-competitive chapter recognition award known as PEAK. Of the five levels of the PEAK award, FBLA proudly demonstrates Fossil’s strive toward excellence by seeking PEAK V. By contributing to a healthier eco-friendly environment and establishing stronger bonds between peers and clubs, FBLA has high hopes for the greatest level of achievement awarded by the PEAK award. “Notes for Cats,” will not be presented at state, but will be included among 30 other promising activities and projects completed throughout the year. This documentation of Fossil’s chapter will be awarded at the state competition. Vice President Neil Rowen, stated that the recent project is “only a piece of all the dedicated hours of FBLA that enhanced the school and community through a myriad of progress, service, and educational undertakings.”

Jake Atterberry, FBLA’s President, stated that members of both clubs would “gain access to opportunities that will promote leadership and collaboration as well as resume building opportunities,” while promoting environmental sustainability. Rowen, expressed the eager partnership between FRESH and FBLA, claiming that the project would “give students a better understanding of the values of not just FRESH, but other clubs as well.”

FBLA’s  innovative project was devised by Karen Seeton, FBLA’s advisor, but was never brought to fruition. After four years of planning and no action, Atterberry decided to step past the project’s planning stages and “create a tradition that will continue with Fossil.”

“Interactions between FBLA and FRESH have been nothing but positive. The opportunity is a no-brainer due to strong leadership within both bodies,” said Atterberry.