Fossil welcomes the class of 2020

Fossil welcomes the class of 2020

18800
James Zheng and Chris Martella play a game of heads or tails to kick off the day. Photo Credit: Jaclyn Ambrose

Wednesday, August 17, was the freshmen’s first day at Fossil Ridge High School. Including an introduction to advisory, their teachers, and their peers, this day allowed the future graduates of 2020 to get to know Fossil.

Chris Martella kicked off the day with a game of heads or tails, explaining how students can’t control what life gives them, but what they can control is their experience throughout their next four years. Following a Fossil tradition, the freshmen class was welcomed into the Performing Arts Center by a tunnel of staff members, meant to show that the Fossil staff will always have your back if a student ever needs anything. The freshmen do not know it yet, but they will end their time at Fossil in the same way.

Within the PAC awaited Tyler Durman, a motivational speaker who encourages students to make good choices and watch what they do in life. With his main question of ”Do students want a “good story” that represents their ideals, or do they want a “bad story”, where wrong choices have swung them into a place of their own fears?” Durman makes students think hard about how they want to act in high school. His speech encouraged students to make the most of themselves in life and help encourage others to do the same.

18784
Tyler Durman speaking to the freshmen. Photo Credit: Jaclyn Ambrose

The rest of the day was filled with bonding activities for freshman advisories and learning how to navigate classes. They played name games and other icebreakers with their advisory class and received a brief introduction to their advisory teachers. Students then went to each of their classes and listened to their teacher talk about their own lives for five minutes, as a way to get to know the people who will guide them to the end of the year. It was also a good time for students to learn where their classes are and how to get to them, so that they will not be wandering the halls in confusion on the official first day. Navigating classes was a struggle for some students, though many found it very helpful. “I think that there is an advantage to navigating classes without upperclassman, because they are kind of intimidating,” said Erin Claven, an incoming freshman.

18781
An advisory class plays icebreaker games in the West Locker Bay. Photo Credit: Jaclyn Ambrose

Students made lip sync videos to end the day and got a kick out of seeing each other be themselves and act silly on camera. The ending theme from the students who volunteered was to encourage freshmen to be themselves and get out of their comfort zone to create the ultimate high school experience.