Fossils Paralympics Swim Star: Joy Stebbins

Fossil’s Paralympics’ Swim Star: Joy Stebbins

Fossil Ridge High School is filled with many talented girl swimmers—which makes sense because the FRHS Girls Swimming and Diving team won the 2012 state title. But amidst this talented team, junior Joy Stebbins is making waves all on her own.

Stebbins was born with dwarfism, but she never let it stop her from becoming involved in sports. When Stebbins was

Stebbins with fellow FRHS girl’s swim teammate, sophomore Bailey Nero

eight years old, she began to do karate and became a blue belt.

After the 2008 Beijing Paralympics, eleven-year-old Joy started swimming. Stebbins said that swimming seemed like it would be fun and a lot better than karate. Stebbins joined the Fort Collins Area Swim Team (FAST), a competitive swim team that competes in meets all across Colorado. It didn’t take long for Stebbins to figure out she had a passion and talent for swimming. “I love swimming because it’s a great opportunity to meet different people, it’s a getaway from everything in my life, plus it keeps me in shape,” Stebbins said.

Stebbins still remembers the first big race she ever won, which was a 200 Individual Medley. “Everyone thought I would lose against the champion,” Stebbins recalled. “It was awesome when I won.”

When Stebbins was a freshman, she joined the FRHS Girls Swimming and Diving team. Stebbins enjoys the friendship that comes with being on the high school team. She said that the team has really amazing sportsmanship and all the teammates are extremely supportive and encouraging. Her favorite tradition of the swim team is when all the senior girl swimmers take them the underclassmen early in the morning and drive to the pool where the annual conference swim meet is held.

On April 26, Stebbins learned after a big meet in Minnesota that she qualified for the 2012 Paralympic Trials in Bismarck, North Dakota. To prepare, Stebbins trained with FAST, lifted weights, and did Pilates at her local gym. FRHS boys’ swim coach Mark Morehouse also let Stebbins train with the boys to keep her in her best condition. On a typical day of training Stebbins would go to the pool and swim 3,000 yards for an hour and a half, then on Mondays and Thursdays, Stebbins would lift weights at Fossil for an hour. In total, Stebbins would swim nine times a week.

The trials were held from June 14-16. Stebbins swam in seven events, including the 400-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle, 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke, 100-meter butterfly, and 50meter butterfly. In the 50-meter butterfly, Stebbins placed first in theAmericasand placed second in theAmericasfor her 50-meter freestyle. She was also placed third in a few events.

Although Stebbins enjoyed her swimming career, she recently discontinued the sport to enjoy other activities she loves, including snowboarding, reading, and hanging out in her ever-growing social circle.