Photo Credit: FRHS College and Career Center Website

Week of 9/12 College Visits

by: Karen Manley and Isabella Mahal

Stay tuned for summaries of some of the major colleges that have visited Fossil Ridge’s college and career center this year. This will be a key resource for students unable to attend meetings.

9/14/16 – University of Northern Colorado Greeley

At a glance:

• 12,000 students
  • Greeley, Colorado (25-30 minutes from Fort Collins)
  • No minimum admission requirements
  • Automatic scholarships with a 3.0 GPA or higher
  • 19 Division 1 sports teams
  • Top programs include Psychology, Education, and Nursing
  • Tuition averages about $7,000 per year
  • Housing, meals, and books come to about $14,000 per year

Not only does UNC Greeley have 106 programs for undergraduate students, their teachers promise to know your name in a week. Class sizes are small, with only 12,000 total students and a 16:1 student faculty ratio. The university prides itself on having about 30% first generation college students. UNC’s top programs include education, nursing, and psychology, and there is a 98% placement rate in either jobs or graduate school for students. In addition, for students who need longer to decide on a career path, the university college offers career testing and general classes.

The UNC Bears get decked out in blue and gold, and the most popular things to do around campus include going to the movie and art theaters. The school offers free equipment rental such as kayaks and skis and also gives discounted lift tickets to students. All sporting events are free for students, from football to Quidditch, who goes to the World Cup nearly every year. Finally, UNC often takes students on trips near and far, from white water rafting on the Poudre to backpacking in Peru.

9/15/16- University of Seattle

At a glance:

• 7,500 students with class sizes of roughly 19
  • One of twenty eight Jesuit Catholic Schools in the country
  • In the heart of downtown Seattle
  • Top programs include nursing, business, engineering, and social work
  • All programs have opportunity to study abroad
  • 130 clubs and organizations

While Seattle University prides itself on its Jesuit ethics, only a third of the school identifies as Catholic. The school simply encourages its students to volunteer their time and give back to the world. Students are expected to take a variety of courses in order to broaden their horizons, versus staying within their individual major. Because of the location in the heart of Seattle, students are encouraged to intern at one of the major businesses (Multinational, REI, or Microsoft) in the area.

Seattle also allows access to many music venues, art shows, and is just four or five blocks away. On campus each year, the school hosts a music festival called Quadstock, with musicians both from the area, and major names from around the globe. In the past, artists such as OK GO and Macklemore feat. Ryan Lewis have performed. Another event at Seattle University is called “Destress With Dogs,” which gives students the opportunity to spend time in a room full of puppies during finals week. Lastly, a major concern of future Seatellites is the weather, so the school suggests a visit in the cooler months to experience the cloudy sky in all its glory. While many assume there is constant rain, Patrick McCarthy, the SU representative, describes it as, “similar to the produce area of the grocery store.”