The Marching Band during their halftime performance.

Fossil Marching Band Excels in First Performance

One of the things that defines a school during sporting events is the marching band. The marching band is there to pump up crowds and show school pride to the team that they happen to be playing against. This, coupled with extreme focus and effort, makes for a show that the entire crowd can enjoy.

Fossil’s marching band is extremely diverse, with members from every grade within their rank. These students spend months working to create a show for audiences and  judges alike. To perform at these events,  students must learn how to play music while simultaneously marching to the beat of the music they are playing.

On Friday, September 16, Fossil marching band did their first performance  during a football game against Poudre High School. At this event, the marching band performed their newest show, titled “Luminescence.” This show is a successor to last year’s show, “The Pale Blue Dot,” which was inspired by the essay by Carl Sagan with the same name.

Fossil’s marching band performs during home football games during halftime. Rhett Daly, a sophomore student and member of the band, said, “I feel like the show went well, however there were some parts that may sound a little shaky. It will be better in time.” When asked about how different it felt from other performances, Daly replied, “I feel like it wasn’t as good as last year because everyone knew exactly what they were doing and when they were supposed to do it. I’m not sure everyone did their parts with complete accuracy.”

“Seeing the band is always special,” said Joseph Graham, a parent who was attending the show, “they are always able to bring out school spirit in a way that the football team or cheerleaders can’t. Something about it really says a lot about this school.”

Fossil’s marching band will be performing again during a football game on Thursday, September 29.