Fossil football team runs off the field at the end of the game. Photo credit: Katie Reed

Homecoming football game exemplifies school spirit

While the homecoming football game itself was not one of the best played, the activities and emotions surrounding it were intense. I have never seen our school cheer for the band in a non-sarcastic way. At the homecoming game, they clapped and screamed the entire time the band walked past. When the unified cheer girls went into their “pyramids” standing on other girls’ knees, everyone cheered for them, and you could see their entire demeanors light up.

The band had an amazing performance, a great way to show off to the students and family members of the Fossil Ridge High School community. Fans were exceptionally pleased when the band put down their instruments mid performance and dabbed as a group. Overall, the band’s performance this year has been my favorite in my four years at Fossil.

Homecoming court made an appearance during half time, with all grades being recognized and seniors Abi Armstrong and Isaac Mergner crowned as homecoming queen and king, respectively. The seniors riled up the crowd by purposely holding their banner upside down until the winners were named, then flipping it the right way only to run through it.

During the end of the third quarter, a junior, Kevyn Simpson, was injured by an illegal hit after Denver East scored a touchdown. He left the field after spending about 20 minutes on the ground, to go to MCR to confirm he was okay. When the ambulance left, Mr. Allen confirmed that he was conscious and could tell the EMTs what had happened. Simpson could move his fingers and toes, but was put in a brace for safety precautions. Fossil’s football team has since confirmed he left MCR with clear CT scans.

While Simpson was on the ground, the crowd and team sat or kneeled while looking on nervously. There were more than a few people crying, and many were confused about what had happened or angry that the other team didn’t receive a harsher penalty. Prior to warming up, teammates all huddled together to pray for Simpson, and the emotional tension was palpable.

Despite the emotional whirlwind Fossil fans and players were put through, neither gave up until time on the clock ran out. During the fourth quarter, junior Tanner Hoke took to the field to replace Griffin Roberts as quarter back. Two touchdowns with their extra points and Fossil’s football team had fans believing there was a chance for a comeback victory. The final score of the game was 25-28 but Fossil’s student section cheered that they were “proud to be a Saber cat fan” while players shook hands on the field.

Homecoming in general is a week that unites the school and makes everyone feel a little more spirited. The game definitely exemplified the infectious spirit that accompanies filling the stands in the cold to cheer on the football team in anticipation for a dance the next night.

[slideshow_deploy id=’15966′]