Ashley Steffeck takes on UCLA commit, Michaela Onyenwere from Grandview. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

So it begins…

Fossil Ridge High School’s girls basketball team competed in their season opener on Tuesday, December 6 against Grandview High School. Going into the game the Sabercats were a little intimidated considering Grandview was No.1 in the state and No. 20 in the nation. The final score of 42-71 showed why Grandview is ranked so high in state and nationally.

[slideshow_deploy id=’16729′]

The starting line up for Fossil consisted of McKenna Schultz, Reilly Dunn, Katey Guzman, Kylie Metcalf, and Ashley Steffeck. The starting five are all returning varsity players from last year and hope to lead the team through a successful season.

The Sabercats put up a fight for the first half of the game, keeping the game tight. The first quarter ended with Grandview leading Fossil 11-19 with Dunn hitting the first points of the game. The second quarter consisted of the Sabercats closing the gap and frustrating the Wolves. The score was Fossil 24, Grandview 29 going into halftime.

Grandview flipped the switch in the third quarter, scoring 28 points and pushing their lead to 31-55 at the end of the quarter. The Wolves took off from there and continued to drain shot after shot to end the game with a final of 42-71 and a lose for the Sabercats.