Fossil girls swimming off to not so great start

Swimmers beginning the 50 free. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

Fossil Ridge High School’s girls swimming began their season competing against Legacy High School at Thornton High School on Wednesday, November 30th.

The first event was the One-meter. Legacy’s Taylor Clark won first place, scoring a total of 222.70 points. Abigail Crosier, another Legacy student, came in second place winning a total of 214.90 points. Finally, Sabercat Alexis Dellinger, came in third place winning 188.40 points for Fossil.

The following event was the 50 meter free swim. Fossil junior,Zoe Bartel, took first place in for the event, swimming a time of 23.98 seconds. Shannon Feran and Lauren McCarty from Legacy were right behind Bartel, Feran ended her 50 free with 25.53 seconds and McCarty with 27.05 seconds.

The 100 meter free swim was next on deck. . Madeleine Mason, a junior at Fossil Ridge, won first place for the sabercats, swimming with a time of 54.35 seconds.  Feran won second place again for Legacy ending her swim with 56.18 seconds. In third place came Legacy’s Peyton Tran, finishing  her swim with 1 minute and 2 milliseconds.

The 100 fly was the next event. Bartel yet again scored first place for the ridge. Bartel’s time was 58.62 seconds. While her competitor, Legacy’s Sophia Romero finished just after Bartel, ending her swim with a time of 1 minute and .41 seconds. Legacy’s Kandice Chandra came into third place ending with a time of 1 minute and 4 seconds.

The 100 Back was next after the fly. Romero from Legacy won the event taking first place with a time of 1 minute and 5 seconds. Fossil’s Zara Alkaff took second ending her run in 1 minute and 10 seconds. Legacy’s Elizabeth Bouchard-Miller took third with a time of 1 minute and 13 seconds.

The 100 breast was won by Legacy’s Mikaela Romano with a time of 1 minute and 15 seconds. Fossil’s Erica Lewis took second place scoring a time of 1 minute and 20 seconds. Legacy’s Megan Green achieved third place ending with a time of 1 minute and 26 seconds.

The 200 free was the next event. Legacy’s Elizabeth Nielsen took first place scoring with a time of 2:08.75. Legacy’s Lisa Bingham scored second with a time of 2:15.97. Lastly, Fossil’s Brittany Bullamore ended in third place with a time of  2:17.71.

The 200 Individual Medley was the next event. Fossil’s Madeleine Mason came in first place, her time was 2:18.25. Legacy’s Kandice Chandra came in second with a time of 2:22:20. Finally, Legacy’s Mikaela Romano came in third place with a time of 2:27.32.

The next event was the 500 free. Legacy’s Shannon Hamp came in first in this event with a time of 5:57.47. Legacy’s Lisa Bingham came in second with a time of 6:05.36. Fossil’s Brittany Bullamore tailed Bingham, Bullamore ended her swim with third place with a time of 6:07.62.

The 200 free relay was the next event. Stefanie Pfahnl, Kara Trombley, Zoe Bartel, and Julia Ross came in first in the event ending with a time of 1:47.67. Legacy’s Shannon Feran, Elizabeth Nielson, Mikaela Romano, and LIsa Bingham came in second place with a time of 1:48.32. Finally, Legacy’s Annie Shen, Sophia Thompson, Charli Dolan, and Kandice Chandra ended in third place with a time of 1:54.28   

The 200 Medley Relay was the second to last event in Thornton. Legacy’s Peyton Tran, Mikaela Romano, Sophia Romero, and Shannon Feran came in first for this event, their time was 1:58.04. Fossil’s Julia Ross, Madeleine Mason, Zara Alkaff, and Stefanie Pfahnl came in second with a time of 2:03.07. Finally, Legacy’s Lisa Bingham, Michaela Coringrato, Shannon Hamp, and Kandice Chandra came in third for the event, ending with a time of 2:08.71.

The last event for the evening was the 400 free relay. Fossil’s Julia Ross, Zaraa Alkaff, Zoe Bartel, and Madeleine Mason won the event with a time of 3:53.18. Legacy’s Sophia Romero, Lauren Jiron, Shannon Hamp, and Peyton Tran came in second for this event ending with a time of 4:05.41. Lastly, Legacy’s Lauren McCarty, Charlie Dolan, Elizabeth Nielsen, and Michaela Coringrato came in third with a time of 4:17.32.

Fossil’s swimming team did not win the meet. Legacy won a total of 186 points for all of the events, while Fossil lost by 129 points. “It was the first meet of the season, anything can happen.” Senior Varsity swimmer Bailey Kovac Replied, “Don’t let this score dictate how the rest of the season goes.”

$100
$1000