Veterans Memorial Aquatics Center. Photo credits: Gavin Montoya

Fossil girls swimming dominates at Legacy lightning relay invite

After a rough start during the first meet of the season, Fossil Ridge High School came out strong in the following meets on Saturday, December 3 and Friday, December 9.

On Saturday, December 10, Fossil competed against 9 other teams at the Legacy Lightning Relay Invite. The events held were the 200 freestyle relay, the 200 medley, and the 400 freestyle relay. The Sabercats went on to win two out of the three events held that weekend.

The first event was the 200 freestyle relay. Horizon High School’s Nicole Olivieri, Rielyn Sosa, Courtnie Lingaas, and Emily Sanchez came in first place with a time of  01:47.99. Fossil came in second in this event with a time of 01:49.55, the swimmers included Emma Stahl, Taylor Valade, Brittany Bullamore, and Andrea Niemann. Finally, Rocky Mountain High School’s Allie Zapp, Emma Hansen, Alie McEndaffer, and Edie McRoberts came in third with a time of 01:49.60 just five milliseconds short from tieing up with Fossil.

The next event was the 200 medley relay. Fossil’s Hadley Nelson swimming back stroke, Cameron Kovac doing breast stroke, Phoebe Huey swimming the butterfly, and Andrea Niemann doing the freestyle came out on top with a time of 01:56.13. Horizon’s Courtnie Lingass, Josie Dudden, Megan Dudden, and Rielyn Sosa came in second place, their time was 01:57.97. Brighton High School brought in the rear and got third with a total time of 02:05.03.

The last event was the 400 freestyle relay. Fossil took first place with a finishing time of 03:47.91. This time was achieved by Cameron Kovac in the first two splits, Elizabeth Mitchell in split 3 and 4, Andrea Niemann in split 5 and 6,  and finally, Andrea Homan in the final two splits. Horizon won second place yet again with a time of 03:54.93. Finally, Rocky won third with a finishing time of 03:55.06.

Overall, Fossil won with a total of 752 points and gained first place, Rocky came in second with 638 points, and 634 points for Legacy who placed third. Fossil won 100 points over Rocky during this invite.

I must make a personal address to my readers at Etched in Stone. My first article depicting the start of the girls swimming season was inaccurate. With success like this invite, it was invalid for me to phrase the beginning of the season how I did. And for that. My apologies, Gavin Montoya.          

$100
$1000