Reilly Dunn attempts to block Delsie Johnsons shot but ends up fouling her. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell
Reilly Dunn attempts to block Delsie Johnson’s shot but ends up fouling her. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The Sabercats blew through their rivals and captured a city championship

The strong, aggressive defense of Fossil Ridge High School’s girls varsity basketball team led them to beat Fort Collins High School 41-38 and capture the city champions title on Tuesday, January 31.

Reilly Dunn tips off the beginning of the game that determines the city champion. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Both teams came out strong, putting away their shots. Brit Mishak scored the first basket of the game in the first 30 seconds off of a inside-the-paint shot. Katey Guzman and Kylie both hit three pointers towards the end of the quarter but the Sabercats were not able to pull into the lead by the end of the first quarter. Collins led Fossil 13-15 going into the second quarter.

Ashley Steffeck gets into the defensive stance and eyes her opponent. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The second and third quarter was the shining moment for Fossil’s defense. They held Collins to 6 points in the second quarter and 5 points in the third quarter. Between Mckenna Schultz’s speed and Ashley Steffeck’s hops, the Sabercats forced 19 turnovers for the Lambkins that resulted in scoring opportunities.

Brit Mishak and Mckenna Schultz pop out to double team Emily Williams. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Collins began to make a comeback in the fourth quarter but Fossil was able to finish strong and capture the 41-38 win. Steffeck led with the most amount of points at 10 and Metcalf trailed closely behind with 8 points, six points off of three pointers.

Katey Guzman catches a tough pass made by Ashley Steffeck. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The Sabercats will go into the game against Fairview High School on Friday, February 3 with a city championship under their belt. The game is at home at 6:30 pm, come out and support the Fossil Sabercats.

$100
$1000