Meet Fossils newest chemistry teacher: Mr. Dannahower

Meet Fossil’s newest chemistry teacher: Mr. Dannahower

Photo Credit: Elliott Smith

Dan Dannahower may be new to Fossil Ridge High School, but he is no rookie. He has 11 years of teaching experience teaching general sciences at Poudre Community Academy, a Fort Collins alternative high school. Although this is his debut year at FRHS, his experience, enthusiasm, and teaching philosophy have made him a great fit.

Born in Florida but a long time Coloradan, Dannahower majored in molecular biology at University of Colorado at Boulder. Originally planning on a career in medicine, he became interested in teaching when tutoring a college friend.

Dannahower loves interacting with his students, and considers it his favorite part of the job.  “I love seeing when the light bulb comes on,” Dannahower said, “when they are learning something difficult, and they start to really understand it, and the confidence that it gives them.”

As a teacher, Dannahowernot only tries to teach his student the subject material, but makes sure his students “own their stuff,” or take responsibility for their actions, good or bad.

For Dannahower, it isn’t just all work and no play. He enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, and hiking and sledding with them. He likes hockey, and is an avid Colorado Avalanche fan, and also enjoys watching football.

So far, Dannahower has enjoyed FRHS and has fit in well. “I love the community here at Fossil,” said Dannahower. “All of the staff I have worked with have been really helpful, and the majority of the students are respectful and fun to be around.”