Unified basketball falls in a battle to the end

[slideshow_deploy id=’17667′]

Photo Credit: Karen Manley

On Wednesday, February 8 at 6 pm, Fossil Ridge High School’s Unified basketball team took on Silver Creek. Though the game was neck and neck to the final buzzer, Silver Creek pulled off a 50-48 win after 40 minutes of play. However, Unified athlete and junior Dawson Coker summed up the attitude that dominated in the gym when asked why he plays basketball. He exclaimed, “to have fun!”

Athletes Sebastian Bastille and David Knuckey dominated the first quarter of the game, each putting up several baskets to give Fossil an early 8-2 lead. By the end of the first quarter though, Silver Creek had managed to come back and the scoreboard read 16-16. The tight score didn’t ease up, and the first half ended slightly in Sabercat favor, 32-30.

The Unified Cheer team was at the game to pump up the fans and athletes in attendance. They led the more than 25 student fans in cheers like “‘Sko Ridge” and the famous roller coaster, as well as performing a halftime dance to Hannah Montana’s “Hoedown Throwdown”. The Unified cheerleaders even got lifted to thunderous applause.

After the half, many of the athletes on court switched out. Dawson Coker and Dee White made a great duo, Coker dribbling down the court and passing to White, who scored multiple times in quick succession. At the end of the third quarter, the score remained tied at 42-42, and the players made one last rotation. Peer helper Mary Maddocks did her job well, dashing up and down the court and blocking a crucial Silver Creek shot to get the ball back to Fossil for the last minutes of the game.

Sebastian Bastille was on fire at the end of the game, taking Fossil’s score from 42-48 to 48-48 in the last four minutes. Silver Creek pulled off a buzzer beater to make the final 48-50, but the matchup remained quite positive. Both Fossil and Silver Creek athletes ran through a tunnel after the game, and Maddocks couldn’t have been happier with her team’s performance, referencing the high score that the Sabercats put up and believing that they didn’t quit a single time.

The athletes would love some Fossil fan support at their next game, which will be on Monday February 13 at Greeley West High School at 6 pm. As Maddocks put it, “it really makes kids’ days when you can be here and be helping and supporting them.”

$100
$1000