Knowledge Bowl’s winning streak continues at regionals

On Saturday, February 11, Fossil Ridge High School’s Knowledge Bowl team received first place in their regional competition at University Middle School. While the team had pre-qualified for state through their abundance of trophies at prior meets, this win sets them up for success in April at the state meet.

In rounds one and two, Fossil competed against Liberty Common High School and Windsor High School. Round one, the teams received 22, 14, and 11 respectively, adding to their scores from the written portion of the meet. In round two, Fossil added an additional 20 points, while Liberty added 16 and Windsor added 7.

Natalia Mahoney, a first time A team competitor, reflected on how the level of competition changes at the regional level. “It’s definitely more intense but I think we’re doing very well. I’m really proud of my team.” Her teammate Jay Chandra added, “I think the difficulty increases, and there’s definitely higher stakes.”

Round 3, Windsor fell to Roosevelt High School, leaving Fossil to play against Liberty and Roosevelt for the remainder of the meet. The teams scored 13, 12, and 9 points respectively, Fossil with a 13 point lead over Liberty. “Round 3 didn’t go as well as the other rounds, but we still managed to win. I’m pretty confident we’ll be able to pull it off in the end,” said Maas van de Graaf.

As the team went into round 4, they knew the stakes were high. Though the team fell behind in the beginning of the nail biting round, Fossil kicked it into gear to beat Roosevelt’s 8 and Liberty’s 12 with 15 points. The players, coach, and parents were thrilled. “I think they did wonderfully, I am very very proud of them,” reflected the coach, Mrs. Cranor.

The team will be competing in the state competition at CSU on March 13 and 14. Best of luck to the Sabercats in keeping the trophy at Fossil!