Brit Mishak drains 2/2 on her free throws. Photo Credit: Jessica Rockwell

Fossil Ridge advances to the Sweet 16 in state

The Fossil Ridge High School starting five took the court against Broomfield High School on Friday, February 24 to kick off the playoffs for the 5A State Basketball Tournament.The starting Sabercats consisted of Mckenna Schultz, Ashley Steffeck, Katey Guzman, Brit Mishak, and Reilly Dunn.

Fossil Ridge girls basketball prepares for the opening round of the state tournament. Photo Credit: Jessica Rockwell

In the early minutes of the game, Broomfield took a 9-12 lead over Fossil Ridge. The Sabercats then kicked it into gear as they went on a 7 point rally. Steffeck hit a 3 pointer, Schultz and Dunn put away their 2 point shots, and a steal that resulted in a layup redeemed Fossil Ridge and allowed them a tight 16-12 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter slowed down as the nerves of the athletes relaxed. It was a low scoring quarter due to the rough defense by each team. The Broomfield Eagles scored a total of 8 points and the Sabercats with 9 total points. The first half of the game ended with Fossil Ridge on top 25-20.

Ashley Steffeck in bounds the ball after miscommunication on Broomfields part. Photo Credit: Jessica Rockwell

In the final half of the game, the Sabercats used their athleticism and determination to pull away and shut down the Eagles. In both the third and fourth quarters, Fossil Ridge scored 17 points and held Broomfield to 7 points in the third quarter and 5 in the fourth quarter. The girls’ outstanding second half allowed them to grab a 59-32 win and a spot in the Sweet 16.

The Sabercats will compete against Regis Jesuit High School on Tuesday, February 28 at 6:30 pm on Fossil Ridge’s home court. Cheer on the girls as they are the only Sabercats left representing Fossil Ridge in the state basketball tournament between the girls and boys.