Unified Basketball falls to Loveland despite strong offense

Photo Credit: Param Mahal

On March 1, 2017 at 6 PM, Fossil Ridge High School’s Unified Basketball team took on the Loveland High School Indians. The final score was 40-50 Indians, though Fossil’s team battled the whole game and never let up. They were on the offensive for the whole first half and carried that momentum into the last quarter. Cece Franco, Loveland sophomore, performed the national anthem and each player’s name was read aloud. The athletes ran through a tunnel created by their own teammates hands and were given thunderous applause to start the game.

The Indians started out strong, but Fossil’s defense held them to four points in the first five minutes. Peter Cifaloglio teamed up with Sebastien Bastille to dribble down the court and score the Sabercats’ first basket of the game. Mary Maddocks was all over the court, grabbing rebounds and saving the ball from going out of bounds. Despite the strong Fossil defense, the scoreboard read 8-4 at the end of the ten-minute quarter.

David Van Skiver scored two baskets at the beginning of the second quarter, and then passed off to David Knuckey and Liam Flake, who added another point to the board.  The five athletes on the court demonstrated a great deal of teamwork, passing between each other with skill and confidence. Halfway through the second quarter Bastille reentered the game , quickly scoring and narrowing Loveland’s lead to 12-14. Loveland pulled ahead to 22-14 at the end of the half.

Members of the Fossil, Loveland, and Unified cheer teams lined the edges of the court, cheering on their teammates and pumping up the whole crowd. During halftime, the Fossil Unified cheer team performed the first routine, a dance number to Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies”. Chloe Madstone, a member of the squad, explained that her favorite part is the dances. Though she prefers home games to away ones because “there are more fans!”, it always makes her feel good that her friends come out to watch her at the games.

Chloe Madstone, top of left pyramid. Photo Credit: Param Mahal

Next to take the stage was the Poudre School District Unified Dance team, who rocked out to “Candyman” by Christina Aguilera and received a standing ovation from their friends, family, and fans. They spanned ages five to eighteen, and danced together as friends. The buzzer sounds to indicate the beginning of the second half, and the players were off.

The Indians continued their drive as the third quarter progressed and captured a 16-36 lead at the end of the third, but the Sabercats weren’t done yet. Dawson Coker put up two points, and  Flake stole a Loveland pass to set Van Skiver up for another couple points. Knuckey put up one more shot before the third quarter buzzer; Fossil was down 22-38.

The Sabercats held the Indians in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Cifaloglio and Bastille worked together yet again to add two more baskets to the total, and Coker put up an astonishing four two-pointers in a row. As the clock dwindled down to one minute, Fossil reduced the Loveland lead to 48-36. Coker added a basket, and Van Skiver tossed up a buzzer beater. The final score read 40-50.

“We did pretty well, although our defense is what struggled. My favorite part is just being around the teammates, and I bring leadership to our team,” Van Skiver said. He is looking forward to playing the last few games of this season and in years to come.

The next Unified game will be preceded by a tailgate at 5:15 in the commons, and the first 50 fans will get free sandwiches, chips, and drinks. Come support your Sabercats at 6 pm on Monday, March 6!

View Comments (2)
$100
$1000