Editor’s Note: A brief on trick-or-treating

You’re a high school kid now.  Or (as some of you would like to think) a high school adult.  Halloween is coming up and the childish tendency to want to run around in a costume and ring random neighbors’ doorbells for candy is one that has been itching in the back of your mind since mid-June.  Parents, peers and nay-sayers everywhere are going to try and throw the typical line your way: “You’re too old to go trick-or-treating.”  Frankly, that is a load of hog-wash.

Some people believe that having a little bit of “kid” blood left in them is the worst thing that could possibly happen.  “Being cool” implies that you are an adult.  Here are the facts: 1) unless you’re an 18-year-old senior, then you aren’t an adult; 2) “being cool” isn’t an antonym for “being a kid.”

The average student has four years in high school.  They have four years left to be a kid.  From my experience, you need to take advantage of that.  As a kid, you can get in trouble and not be punished severely.  As a kid, you can dress up like a maniac and only be judged a little bit.  But most importantly, as a kid, you can run around a neighborhood, ring on doorbells, and get rewarded with a boatload of candy.  Here’s a question: Why wouldn’t you take advantage of that?

Plain and simple: you’re only a kid once.  No matter how badly you want to deny being young, you still are.  Go trick-or-treating.  Break popular stereotypes.  Be a “kid” for one last time.

Ethan Dayton

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

*Editor’s Notes are published the first and third Friday of every month, as well as the Friday that an issue is released.