Lobos lacrosse team taking a time out. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya
Dave Montoya

Lobos lacrosse back in Colorado

Lobos lacrosse taking a timeout. Photo credit: Gavin Montoya

While the vast majority of students were staying home or vacationing with their friends and family during spring break, the Lobos lacrosse team did anything but relax. Instead the team went off to California to play against both Coronado and San Marcos high school.

The games in California were part of the spring boys lacrosse season and are added to their record.

Lobos player Ben Rugh was the first to score in the first game. However, Coronado came back with three instant goals giving them a 3-1 lead. The first quarter ended with Coronado leading 3-2.

The second quarter ended with the Lobos scoring only one goal. Coronado was only allowed two goals that quarter. Both midfielders and defense gave it their all to keep it an offensive game. The score at the end of the half was 5-3 Coronado

The second half opened up better for the Lobos. Coronado wasn’t expecting the Lobos to tie things up. The Lobos scored four goals in the third quarter opposed to Coronado’s two goals. Lobos player Zach West scored the tying goal.

Coronado and the Lobos each scored one goal during the fourth quarter keeping the score tied 8-8.

With overtime upon the Lobos, Coronado scored the game ending goal. The final score was 9-8.

The next game the Lobos played was against San Marcos. The Lobos had a lead of 3-1 in the first quarter. San Marcos quickly came back around and scored three goals during the second quarter, not even giving the Lobos an opportunity to score.

The score at halftime was 4-3 San Marcos.

San Marcos finished the third quarter getting another three goals. The Lobos were able to pick up two more goals. The score after the third quarter was 7-5 San Marcos.

The by the end of the fourth quarter the final score was 10-9 San Marcos.

Even though the Lobos were not able to obtain a win in California, they played close, one-goal games.

The Lobos luck turned around on Thursday March 24, when they played against Palmer high school in Colorado Springs.

The Lobos were able to pull out a 20-9 game blowing their opponent out of the water. After the game West said, “I’m just glad to be back in Colorado and back to winning games, I love the team I’m on.”

The Lobos will be playing on Wednesday March 29 against Cherokee Trail at French Field.