Dr. Cook shows team pride for CSU during spirit week. Photo Credit: Haley Osborn

Letter from Dr. Cook: Learn all you can

Last Friday night, standing under the scoreboard, at the football game, I was so proud of FRHS.  Not only because of the win, but also because of the determination to succeed.  I saw determination, commitment and hope in the eyes of our players and fans.  I saw student athletes give it their all. I saw fans screaming their hearts out, in the cold, to support our team.  I felt the magic that comes to life when we believe and put action behind our dream. We have lost some very close games this year. But we never lost our spirit. It takes courage to keep trying, when you want to give up.  Every set back, every loss, every disappointment can become the foundation for our character.  You see, the story has been the same, in every school I have served: those that see beyond the moment—to the end goal—actually get there.   The struggle and the hard work that it takes to achieve excellence are as valuable as the end achievement.  Over the course of 30 years, I have come to appreciate that every lesson I learn prepares me for the next opportunity.  I don’t always appreciate having to deal with tough choices or holding to my values—sometimes the easy way is tempting.  I never regret a decision when it aligns with my core values. As students, I encourage you to hold strong to your values; to have a voice when it might be easier not to.  My hope for the Ridge Nation is that every member is committed to excellence.  It is more than winning and losing—it is staying focused on the goal and not becoming sidetracked.  Whether your passion is in the classroom, on the athletic fields, or in the community—learn all you can.