Fossil Ridge track and field places 2nd at city meet

On Tuesday, April 11 the Fossil Ridge High School track and field team placed second at the 2017 City Meet. 17 male athletes and 18 female athletes from Fossil Ridge placed in the top 6 and gained points for the team that resulted in their overall placing.

The first event that Fossil Ridge had a runner place in the top three was the 100 meter hurdles for the girls and the 110 meter hurdles for the boys. Sheridan Davis placed first with a time of 16.08. For the boys, Fossil Ridge captured the first and second places of this event. Collin Aslor placed first with a time of 16.11 and Luke Brannen placed second with a time of 16.12.

The first distance event was the 1600 meter run. Sydney Teslow placed first with a time of 5:33.32 for the girls while Blake Hubert placed second with a time of 10:09.52 and Dylan Ko placed third with a time of 10:10.98 for the boys.

The final distance event was the 3200 meter run. The Hubert brothers placed first and second, Blake Hubert placed first with a time of 10:09.52 and Matt Hubert placed second with a time of 10:10.98. Sydney Teslow placed first in this event as well as the 1600 meter run, with a time of 12:03.30. Billie Fogarty came in behind Teslow with a time of 12:14.66 and placing second.

In the 400 meter dash, Molly Grigsby placed third with a time of 1:05.62.

The second and final hurdle event, the 300 meter hurdles took place after the 400 meter dash. For both the boys and girls, the Sabercats went home with second and third place. Collin Aslor placed second with a time of 42.93 and Cade Gonzalez placed third with a time of 43.50 for the boys. Samantha Gordon placed second with a time of 48.39 and Destiny Butler placed third with a time of 48.83 for the girls.

Third place for the 800 meter run was filled by Fossil Ridge for both the boys and girls. Dan McMurry had a time of 2:07.42 and Promise Butler had a time of 2:26.32.

The only Sabercat that placed in the 200 meter dash was Tanner Robinson. She had a time of 26.05 and placed second.

Once again, Fossil Ridge had a lot of success with their relay teams. With the amount of success that comes from the relay teams, the Sabercats always show their support with cheering. “I enjoy the relays more than the individual events because people get more into it and that makes it more competitive,” stated Rachel Boyle.

The girls relay teams dominated the competition in all five relay events. The girls 4 by 100 meter relay team placed second with a time of 51.19. The team consisted of Tanner Robinson, Samantha Milliken, Mackenzie Northburg, and Rachel Boyle. The girls 4 by 200 meter relay that consisted of Marley Champion, Julia Ross, Mackenzie Northburg, and Rachel Boyle placed third with a time of 1:54.99. The girls 4 by 400 meter relay also placed third with a time of 4:23.37. Zivon Smith, Destiny Butler, Ashley Steffeck, and Julia Ross were a part of this team. Sydney Teslow, Billie Fogarty, Allison Edwards, and Promise Butler made up the 4 by 800 meter relay team that placed first with a time of 10:11.30. The final relay team for the Fossil Ridge girls consisted of Lauren Taylor, Samantha Milliken, Rachel Boyle, and Marley Champion, they placed third in the 800 sprint medley with a time of 2:01.57.

The boys relay teams placed in three of the five relay events. In the 4 by 400 meter relay including: Jared Brannen, Thomas Dishman, Cade Gonzalez, and Dan McMurry, the Sabercats placed second with a time of 3:38.95. Dylan Ko, Blake Hubert, Matt Hubert, and Chase Elliot placed first in the 4 by 800 meter relay with a time of 8:13.77. The 800 meter sprint medley relay team placed third with a time of 1:43.77, the Sabercats that ran this even consisted of Grant Schmidt, James Zheng, Adam Curran, and Jason Brockway.

Three Fossil Ridge female athletes placed in their field events. Sarah Eastwood and Mackenzie Matz both cleared the height of 4-11.00, Eastwood placed second and Matz placed third. Lena Ray placed second in triple jump with a distance of 33-10.25.

The male Sabercats dominated in their field events with placers in all six field events. Aaron Hargis placed third in high jump, clearing the height of 5-11.00. Adam Curran and Evan Hess brought Fossil Ridge the second and third places for pole vault. Curran placed second by clearing the height of 11-10.00 and Hess placed third with a height of 11-04.00. Aaron Hargis also placed in long jump. He placed second with a distance of 20-05.00. Zack Crane also placed in long jump with a distance of 19-08.50 and earned points for third place. Donovan Murphee placed second in triple jump with a distance of 41-11.00. Throwing a distance of 46-08.00, Kyle Biehl placed second in shot put. The final placer for Fossil Ridge was Adam Miller, he placed third in the discuss throw with a distance of 138-07.00.

The track and field team also competed in the Pomona Invitational over the weekend of Friday, April 14 and Saturday, April 15. The girls placed twenty-fourth and the boys placed eighteenth out of 31 teams.

The team will compete against Poudre High School on Saturday, April 22 at French Field. Give them some support by showing up and cheering them on.

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000