Trick-or-Treat Street provides a safe alternative to Halloween

Angela smiles in her Cat in the Hat costume. Photo Credit: Karen Manley

Wyatt Greenacre and Karen Manley

On October 30 Fossil Ridge High School’s Student Council put on the annual Trick or Treat Street. he kids maneuvered their way around all the decorations set up on the first floor of Fossil the event is for young kids to come dressed up in their costumes and collect early candy from Fossil clubs.

To many it may seem like just another festive event but to the students who take part in this it means a little more.  Gabriela Carcasson of Mu Alpha Theta says, “trick or treating was a big part of my childhood and it means a lot to me that I am able to give that experience that I loved so much to the kids who come.”

James Zheng and the rest of Science Olympiad says that they love trick or treat street because of the kids. These willing individuals are definitely showing their true colors by putting time aside to set up an event that means a lot to the kids and gives them a safe place to trick or treat, before it’s late or dark.

Elementary schoolers Sydney, Trinity, and Kaitlyn would agree in a way that they can only describe Halloween by “candy”. It may not seem like a lot to the kids now besides a fun event of candy and costumes but they are truly getting the full extent of these volunteers love for  memories of childhood. Vianne, Merryn, and Arianna all agree that they love the “scary” side to Halloween.

Fossil student, Samantha Schaefer describes Trick or Treat Street as a way to “get out and do something fun and also help out with the community”, and it is. The reason in these students minds is that they are doing it for the community. The Sabercats put in a ton of effort and the kids greatly appreciated it.